President in Prague rewrites history

• History
  • Thread starter Phrak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    History
In summary, Obama said the Prague Spring was important because it showed peaceful protest can shake the foundation of an empire and expose the emptiness of an ideology. He also pointed out that the Polish factor is important, but Prague is not the only place that can reform the world.
Phrak
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/apr/05/text-of-president-obama-in-prague/"

Obama:
We are here today because of the Prague Spring _ because the simple and principled pursuit of liberty and opportunity shamed those who relied on the power of tanks and arms to put down the will of the people.

We are here today because twenty years ago, the people of this city took to the streets to claim the promise of a new day, and the fundamental human rights that had been denied to them for far too long. Sametova revoluce _ the Velvet Revolution taught us many things. It showed us that peaceful protest could shake the foundation of an empire, and expose the emptiness of an ideology. It showed us that small countries can play a pivotal role in world events, and that young people can lead the way in overcoming old conflicts. And it proved that moral leadership is more powerful than any weapon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
I'm no expert in recent European history, but that sounds more or less right to me (if you set aside some nuances in the political change already stemming from Moscow). What am I missing?

Come on Gokul, it's a guessing game.

Is this statement true or a bit of exaggeration?

the Velvet Revolution taught us many things. It showed us that peaceful protest could shake the foundation of an empire, and expose the emptiness of an ideology. It showed us that small countries can play a pivotal role in world events, and that young people can lead the way in overcoming old conflicts. And it proved that moral leadership is more powerful than any weapon.

By the time of the Velvet Revolution, the old Soviet Union had essentially collapsed. It's economy was in a shambles, the Military had just lost a war to the Afghans, and Gorbachev's reforms were well underway. Those reforms led to more political and economic openness. The Velvet Revolution was the final straw on that camel's back.

Yes, the language is certainly overly flowery and generous, but I guess that's the kind of stuff you say when you are a guest. Especially, since this is the 20th anniversary year of the Velvet Revolution.

Maybe I would have personally preferred a speech with a little less flattery, but I'm not sure there would be too many political advisers or diplomats that would propose a speech that said: "Yeah, we know that Gorby was already making changes and the Velvet Rev was more symbolic of political change than actually a primary instrument of political upheaval, but yeah, goodish job, y'all. You broke an old and tired camel's back. I give you half a thumbs up."

Likewise, no one celebrating say the anniversary of Gandhi's birthday is likely to choose that moment to point out that the Brits were already dismantling their Empire, and that perhaps Gandhi just happened to be at the right place at the right time.

Overall, not a biggie, if you ask me.

Prague spring was in 68
not 20 years ago
that was the Velvet Revolution in 89
two very different outcomes in the same place

That was my first idea too, but he never said it was the same event. He mentioned both in two consecutive phrases, you may as well read it "we are here because of both events".

As every politician, he speaks in round sentences that doesn't mean much. Professional trait.

Besides, it was Solidarity in Poland not the Velvet Revolution that counts when it comes to "shaking the foundation of an empire" :wink: Obama has his first serious negative mark in my register.

Borek said:
Besides, it was Solidarity in Poland not the Velvet Revolution that counts when it comes to "shaking the foundation of an empire" :wink: Obama has his first serious negative mark in my register.

Yes, when thinking of the collapse of communism in Eastern Europe, Solidarnosc comes to mind. And even the pope. (the previous one).

the Polish factor is certainly there but Prague is no to be ruled out from reforming the world.

Related to President in Prague rewrites history

1. What is the significance of the "President in Prague rewrites history"?

The "President in Prague rewrites history" refers to a specific event or statement made by a president during their time in office that attempts to alter or change the narrative of past events or actions.

2. Which president made this statement in Prague?

The specific president who made this statement is not mentioned, as it is a hypothetical situation. However, it could refer to any president who has attempted to rewrite history during their time in office.

3. Can a president really rewrite history?

While a president may have the power to influence public perception and interpretation of historical events, they cannot actually change or alter the facts of history. The truth of past events cannot be changed by any individual, including a president.

4. Why would a president want to rewrite history?

There could be various reasons why a president may want to rewrite history, such as to create a more favorable narrative for their administration or to cover up any negative actions or events that occurred during their time in office.

5. How can we ensure that history is accurately recorded and not rewritten?

It is important for historians, media, and individuals to fact-check and critically analyze any statements or events presented by a president or any other source. By promoting a culture of critical thinking and fact-checking, we can help ensure that history is accurately recorded and not rewritten.