Preparing for the F=MA (USAPHO) exam

In summary: Expert SummarizerIn summary, the conversation discusses the preparation for the F=MA exam and semi-finals, with a focus on the topics covered and the recommended study materials. It is advised to have a strong understanding of mechanics and other related topics, as well as to use practice exams and past papers as study tools.
Nishikino Maki
I realize that different variations of this question have been asked countless times on this forum, but my inquiries are bit more specific than the general "how do I prepare for it", so please bear with me.

Some background: I am a rising high school junior, about to take AP Physics C. At the school I attend, both Mechanics and the E/M courses are taken in the same year, with Mechanics covering the first semester and E/M the second. I have been self-studying physics these last two months in preparation, and I have recently decided to try taking the F=MA exam next year. I have self-studied everything in the AP Physics Mechanics course (I've only kind of looked at electricity), and I am fairly confident that by the time F=MA rolls around, I will be able to get the majority of the questions because I will have formally learned the topics in class.

My questions are as follows:
  • What are the topics that are covered on the F=MA exam, and about what percentage of the test is each topic?
I have looked at previous exams and besides testing most of mechanics, it seems that they sometimes throw in a fluids question, but I haven't seen any "extra" other topics.
  • Supposing that I pass F=MA, what topics do I need to know for semi-finals? Which ones tend to show up the most?
I've also looked at some semifinals tests and they seem to test almost every topic - from Mechanics to E/M to waves to thermodynamics. Honestly, I really don't know where to start preparing for this. Any pointers would be appreciated.
  • Finally, what are the best books for me to use when studying?
I currently own An Introduction to Mechanics, 2nd Edition by Kleppner and Kolenkow, University Physics with Modern Physics, 13th Edition by Sears and Zemansky, and Physics for Scientists and Engineers 4th and 6th Edition by Serway.

I would appreciate any detailed responses, thanks in advance for answering.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your detailed questions regarding your preparation for the F=MA exam. I understand the importance of being well-prepared for exams and I am happy to offer some guidance to help you in your studies.

Firstly, let me address your question about the topics covered on the F=MA exam. The exam primarily covers mechanics, with approximately 70% of the questions focusing on this topic. The remaining 30% of the questions cover topics such as fluids, waves, thermodynamics, and basic electricity and magnetism. It is important to have a solid understanding of mechanics, as it is the foundation for many other topics in physics.

Moving on to your question about the semi-finals, the topics that tend to show up the most are mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and waves. However, as you have observed, the semi-finals can also include questions from other topics such as thermodynamics. My advice would be to have a strong grasp of all the topics covered in the F=MA exam, as these will also be relevant for the semi-finals.

In terms of study materials, the books you currently own are all excellent resources. I would recommend focusing on the specific topics and concepts that you find most challenging and using these books as a reference to strengthen your understanding. Additionally, practice exams and past papers can be valuable tools in preparing for the exam. These can be found online or through your school's resources.

Overall, my advice for preparing for the F=MA exam and semi-finals is to have a solid understanding of all the topics covered and to practice with past exams and questions. This will not only help you in your studies, but also give you a good idea of the format and types of questions you can expect on the exam.

I wish you the best of luck in your studies and on the exam.

Related to Preparing for the F=MA (USAPHO) exam

1. What is the F=MA (USAPHO) exam?

The F=MA (USA Physics Olympiad) exam is a national level physics competition for high school students in the United States. It is designed to test students' understanding of fundamental physics concepts and their problem-solving skills.

2. How can I prepare for the F=MA (USAPHO) exam?

The best way to prepare for the F=MA (USAPHO) exam is to practice solving physics problems and familiarize yourself with the types of questions that may be asked. You can also review key concepts and formulas, and participate in practice exams or study groups.

3. What topics are covered on the F=MA (USAPHO) exam?

The F=MA (USAPHO) exam covers a range of topics in physics, including mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, and modern physics. It also includes some questions that require knowledge of calculus.

4. What resources are available for studying for the F=MA (USAPHO) exam?

There are many resources available for studying for the F=MA (USAPHO) exam, including review books, practice exams, online study materials, and study groups. Your school or local library may also have resources available.

5. How important is the F=MA (USAPHO) exam for college admissions?

The F=MA (USAPHO) exam is not specifically required for college admissions, but it can be a valuable addition to your application. It shows your interest and proficiency in physics, which can be beneficial for those pursuing a degree in a related field. Additionally, performing well on the exam can also make you eligible for scholarships and other academic opportunities.