Prepare for the Putnam: Intensive Math Training Without a Tutor

In summary, the speaker is looking for a way to improve their problem-solving skills in math, specifically for the Putnam competition. They want to use the upcoming summer to do this and are seeking recommendations for good books to use. They prefer to work independently without a tutor and mention liking the book "Putnam and Beyond." They also inquire about obtaining past exams.
R.P.F.
Hey,

I am just wondering whether there is a good way to get you trained for the Putnam? It may not necessarily for the Putnam, but to teach you to tackle fun and difficult math problems and come up with ideas. I want to use the coming summer to do this and I will have tons of free time at that time. So I'd like to make this intensive. Is there a good way to do this? Good books you would recommend? I would do this mostly independently, i.e., without a tutor.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I like Putnam and Beyond.

This is just a question, but can you get the past exams?

zpconn said:
I like Putnam and Beyond.

Looks like a great book. Thanks!

Related to Prepare for the Putnam: Intensive Math Training Without a Tutor

1. What is "Prepare for the Putnam: Intensive Math Training Without a Tutor"?

"Prepare for the Putnam: Intensive Math Training Without a Tutor" is a study guide and practice book for students preparing for the William Lowell Putnam Mathematical Competition, a prestigious mathematics competition for undergraduate students in the United States and Canada.

2. Who is the author of "Prepare for the Putnam: Intensive Math Training Without a Tutor"?

The author of "Prepare for the Putnam: Intensive Math Training Without a Tutor" is Razvan Gelca, a professor of mathematics at Texas Tech University and a former Putnam Fellow (top 5 individual score in the competition).

3. What topics are covered in "Prepare for the Putnam: Intensive Math Training Without a Tutor"?

The book covers a wide range of topics in mathematics, including algebra, number theory, combinatorics, and calculus. It also includes general problem-solving strategies and techniques specific to the Putnam Competition.

4. Do I need a tutor to use "Prepare for the Putnam: Intensive Math Training Without a Tutor"?

No, the book is designed for self-study and does not require a tutor. However, it is recommended to have a solid foundation in mathematics and to have completed calculus and linear algebra before using the book.

5. Can "Prepare for the Putnam: Intensive Math Training Without a Tutor" guarantee success in the Putnam Competition?

While the book provides helpful guidance and practice problems, success in the Putnam Competition ultimately depends on the individual's dedication, hard work, and mathematical ability. However, using this book as a study aid can greatly improve one's chances of doing well in the competition.