Learning Mathematics for Putnam

• Thread starter Spatium
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematics
In summary, if you want to prepare for the Putnam competition, it's best to start by studying the problems and solutions from past contests, as well as utilizing textbooks and online resources focused on the topics covered. It would also be beneficial to practice solving similar types of problems and exploring more advanced topics in math.
Spatium
Hey guys I'm just looking for some guidance on how best to go about learning the mathematics that would be required to do well on the Putnam.

I've wanted to get involved in the competition (just finished my first year of undergrad), but I chickened out of taking it this year as looking at some of the previous problems showed me I would probably be wasting 6 hours of my time.

I'm in Engineering Physics and I won't get a lot of chances to take proof-intensive math courses until third year and that would leave me with only one try at the competition so I'd like to learn some on my own out of interest anyway.

Do you think it would be best to just go about learning the topics more in depth (ie. going through Spivak's Calculus), or more specifically material that is "devoted" to the Putnam (some kind of preparation guide maybe?).

Thanks for any suggestions!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're looking to prepare for the Putnam, it's best to start by familiarizing yourself with the material covered in previous contests. This can be done by studying the problems from past Putnam tests, as well as reading the solutions for each problem. You should also look into textbooks and online resources that focus on the topics covered on the Putnam (such as the classic "Putnam and Beyond" by Richard Rusczyk). Additionally, it would be beneficial to practice solving similar types of problems, such as those found in math competitions such as the American Mathematics Competitions (AMC) or the International Math Olympiad (IMO). Finally, it would be worthwhile to explore other resources that cover more advanced topics such as real analysis, algebra, topology, and complex analysis.

Related to Learning Mathematics for Putnam

1. What is the Putnam Exam and why is it important for learning Mathematics?

The Putnam Exam is a prestigious mathematics competition for undergraduate students in the United States and Canada. It is known for its difficulty and is often used as a benchmark for mathematical ability. Learning mathematics for the Putnam Exam can greatly enhance problem-solving skills and critical thinking abilities, making it an important skill for any aspiring mathematician.

2. How can I prepare for the Putnam Exam?

Preparing for the Putnam Exam involves a combination of studying mathematical concepts and solving challenging problems. It is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and to practice solving problems under time constraints. There are also resources available such as past exams and study guides to help with preparation.

3. What are some tips for success on the Putnam Exam?

Some tips for success on the Putnam Exam include practicing under timed conditions, working on problems with a group or mentor, and studying a variety of mathematical topics. It is also important to stay calm and focused during the exam and to not get discouraged if a problem seems difficult.

4. What are the most common types of questions on the Putnam Exam?

The Putnam Exam typically consists of 12 challenging problems that cover a range of mathematical topics including calculus, algebra, number theory, and geometry. These problems often require creative thinking and may involve multiple steps to solve.

5. How can I use my experience with the Putnam Exam to further my mathematical studies?

Participating in the Putnam Exam can provide a valuable learning experience and can also open up opportunities for further mathematical studies. Many universities and graduate programs value Putnam Exam performance and it can also lead to research opportunities and connections with other talented mathematicians.