Predictive distribution of poisson

In summary, to find the predictive distribution for the number of flaws in a piece of length 60 metres, you first need to find the maximum likelihood estimator for L\theta using the formula l(L\theta) = \prod_{i=1}^n Po(ni, Li*L\theta), where n is the number of lengths and Li is the length of the ith fibre. Once you have found the maximum likelihood estimator, you can use it to find the predictive distribution by using the Poisson distribution with mean L\theta*60.
SirEllwood
1. The distribution of flaws along the length of an artificial fibre follows a Poisson
process, and the number of flaws in a length L is Po(L[tex]\theta[/tex] ). Very little is known about [tex]\theta[/tex]. The number of flaws in five fibres of lengths 10, 15, 25, 30 and 40 metres were found to be 3, 2, 7, 6, 10 respectively. Find the predictive distribution for the number of flaws in another piece of length 60 metres.

Attempt: Well I think i need to find the maximum likelihood estimator first? which is:

l(L[tex]\theta[/tex]) = [tex]\prod[/tex] Po(ni, LiL[tex]\theta[/tex])

But i get a little bit confused when doing this, as i am taking the product of the 5 terms because L changes every time.

So am i right in thinking that i would multiply them together so the exponential term would be exp{-120}

Then i get confused with the next term, because i am used to working with an L value that would not change because L has 1 value. So now i have:

(10)^3 * (15)^2... etc

Have i gone about this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
And if so, how do i continue?Answer:Yes, you have gone about this correctly. To find the maximum likelihood estimator, you need to take the product of the Poisson distributions for each of the lengths, L. The formula for the maximum likelihood estimator is given by:l(L\theta) = \prod_{i=1}^n Po(ni, Li*L\theta)where n is the number of lengths, and Li is the length of the ith fibre. For your example, you would have:l(L\theta) = Po(3, 10*L\theta)*Po(2, 15*L\theta)*Po(7, 25*L\theta)*Po(6, 30*L\theta)*Po(10, 40*L\theta)To find the maximum likelihood estimator, you need to take the partial derivative of l(L\theta) with respect to L\theta and set it equal to 0. You can then solve for L\theta to find the maximum likelihood estimator. Once you have found the maximum likelihood estimator for L\theta, you can use it to find the predictive distribution for the number of flaws in a piece of length 60 metres. The predictive distribution is given by the Poisson distribution with mean L\theta*60.

Related to Predictive distribution of poisson

What is a predictive distribution of Poisson?

A predictive distribution of Poisson is a statistical model that predicts the probability of future events occurring based on past occurrences of a Poisson process. It takes into account the mean rate of occurrence and the number of events that have already occurred.

How is a predictive distribution of Poisson calculated?

A predictive distribution of Poisson is calculated using the Poisson distribution formula, which takes into account the mean rate of occurrence and the number of events that have already occurred. This formula is then used to estimate the probability of future events occurring.

What are the applications of predictive distribution of Poisson?

Predictive distribution of Poisson has various applications in fields such as finance, insurance, and risk management. It can be used to predict the number of insurance claims, stock market fluctuations, and other events that follow a Poisson process.

What are the assumptions of predictive distribution of Poisson?

The assumptions of predictive distribution of Poisson include that the events are independent, the rate of occurrence is constant, and the probability of an event occurring in a given time interval is proportional to the length of the interval.

What are the limitations of predictive distribution of Poisson?

Predictive distribution of Poisson is limited by the assumptions it makes, such as the constant rate of occurrence and the assumption of independence. It may also be limited by the quality and quantity of data available for analysis.