Predicting eye color genotype?

• Thread starter moonman239
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Color Eye
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of determining eye color alleles that one might pass on to their children. It is mentioned that the individual has blue eyes and their parents and siblings have different eye colors. It is noted that blue eyes are homozygous dominant (bb) and the offspring's eye color will depend on the significant other's eye color. The conversation also mentions that eye color is a polygenic trait, making it difficult to predict.
moonman239
I have a question. My parents have green eyes, one sister has brown eyes, another has hazel eyes and the last sister & I have blue eyes. Given this information, how can I determine what eye color alleles I might pass on to my children?

No, I'm not trying to predict my childrens' eye color. I'm not even married yet.

Biology news on Phys.org
Blue eyes are most certainly homozygous dominant (bb). Therefore it will depend on your significant other's eye color. If she has brown eyes then your offspring will probably have brown eyes (Bb).

Edgewood11 said:
Blue eyes are most certainly homozygous recessive (bb). Therefore it will depend on your significant other's eye color. If she has brown eyes then your offspring will probably have brown eyes (Bb).

Corrected your words. And eye color is actually a polygenic trait, so it's technically hard to predict.

Related to Predicting eye color genotype?

What is a genotype?

A genotype refers to the genetic makeup of an individual, including all of their inherited traits and genes.

How is eye color determined genetically?

Eye color is determined by the combination of genes inherited from both parents. The gene for eye color is located on chromosome 15, and there are several variations or alleles of this gene that determine different eye colors.

Can eye color be accurately predicted?

Eye color can be predicted with a certain level of accuracy based on an individual's genotype. However, environmental factors such as exposure to sunlight and age can also affect eye color, making it difficult to predict with complete accuracy.

What are the most common eye colors?

The most common eye colors are brown, blue, and green. Brown is the most dominant eye color, followed by blue and then green. However, there are many variations and shades of these colors that can also be inherited.

Can eye color be changed through genetics?

While it is not possible to change one's eye color through genetics, it is possible for eye color to change over time due to certain genetic factors such as age, disease, or injury.