Precise Definition of a Limit at Negative Infinity

In summary, The conversation is discussing a question about a definition for limits of the form ##\lim_{x \to -\infty} f(x) = L## and whether a particular definition is correct. The proposed definition is stated as "if for every ##\epsilon>0## there exists ##N## such that ##x < N \implies |f(x) - L| < \epsilon##." There is a small correction made regarding the direction of the inequality, and the conversation ends with a clarification about the direction being correct for the given limit.
Tsunoyukami
I'm working through some problems from Stewart's Calulus, 6ed. and am having some difficulty with certain limit proofs. In particular, there is no definition provided for limits of the form:

$$ \lim_{x \to - \infty} f(x) = L $$

One of the exercises is to come up with a formal definition for such a proof - which I did and used successfully a few times about a month ago when I was working through that section - but I want to make sure that my definition is really correct and not just lucky for those two problems.

I would suspect the definition of such a limit to be something like:

We say

$$ \lim_{x \to - \infty} f(x) = L $$

if for every ##\epsilon>0## there exists ##N## such that ##x < N \implies |f(x) - L| < \epsilon##.

Is this the correct precise definition of such a limit? I was unable to find an answer browsing google - most websites seem to provide the precise definition for "normal" limits and for limits at positive infinity but not at negative infinity.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds good.

Likes 1 person
Thank you for your prompt reply!

Would sound even better if you had written ##x > N##, but I'm pretty sure the < was just a typo...

BvU said:
Would sound even better if you had written ##x > N##, but I'm pretty sure the < was just a typo...
The OP wrote it correctly because the limit is for ##x## going to ##-\infty##.

My apologies. Couldn't imagine such a quirk; proves how rusty one can get with old age... :redface:

Related to Precise Definition of a Limit at Negative Infinity

1. What is the formal definition of a limit at negative infinity?

The formal definition of a limit at negative infinity is that for a function f(x), the limit at negative infinity exists if and only if for every real number L, there exists a real number M such that for all x less than M, the value of f(x) is within a certain distance (epsilon) of L.

2. How is the limit at negative infinity different from the limit at positive infinity?

The limit at negative infinity looks at the behavior of a function as x approaches negative infinity, while the limit at positive infinity looks at the behavior of a function as x approaches positive infinity. They may have different values or may not exist at all.

3. How is the concept of one-sided limits applied to the limit at negative infinity?

One-sided limits can be applied to the limit at negative infinity by considering the behavior of the function from the left side of negative infinity. This means looking at the values of the function as x approaches negative infinity from the left, or with negative values.

4. Can a function have a limit at negative infinity but not at positive infinity?

Yes, a function can have a limit at negative infinity but not at positive infinity. This means that the function behaves differently as x approaches negative infinity compared to as x approaches positive infinity.

5. How can the limit at negative infinity be used to determine the end behavior of a function?

The limit at negative infinity can be used to determine the end behavior of a function by looking at the value of the limit. If the limit is a finite value, the function approaches a specific value as x approaches negative infinity. If the limit is positive or negative infinity, the function grows without bound or decreases without bound, respectively, as x approaches negative infinity.