Precession of ellipsoid Question

I*w(i) - L(c))/ITherefore, the precession angular velocity of the ellipsoid around the z-axis is given by:ω(p) = (I*w(i) - L(c))/IIn summary, the precession of the ellipsoid c-axis around the z-axis can be calculated using the conservation of angular momentum and the formula for precession angular velocity. The final angular velocity of the ellipsoid can be calculated using the conservation of angular momentum and the initial and final angular momenta of the composite system. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.Best regards,[Your Name]
the keck

Homework Statement

A uniform symmetric ellipsoid (Mass M) has a large semi axis c and small semi axis a. A particle of mass m<<M is moving along a straight line parallel to the x-axis with speed v(i). Its y-coordinate is a/2 and its z-coordinate it c/2. After an inelastic collision, it sticks to the ellipsoid and then it (The ellipsoid) starts to move and rotate. One can assume the moment of inertia of the composite system equals to that of the ellipsoid.

Find the precession of the ellipsoid c-axis around direction of the angular momentum

The Attempt at a Solution

There are a couple of initial things I worked out:

- By linear momentum conservation, v(f)=m*v(i)/M

- The angular momentum of the composite system is L=M*v(f)*a + (2/5*M*a^2)*(v(f)/a) = 7/5*M*v(f)*a

- From what I guess, the ellipsoid rotates and precesses about the z-axis, but I'm still sort of learning precession, so I'm not sure how to go about doing this.

Thanks

Regards,
The Keck

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear The Keck,

Thank you for your post. I will try my best to help you solve this problem.

Firstly, your initial calculations are correct. The linear momentum conservation equation gives us the final velocity of the composite system after the collision. And the angular momentum of the composite system can be calculated using the moment of inertia of the ellipsoid and the velocity of the composite system.

To determine the precession of the ellipsoid around the z-axis, we can use the conservation of angular momentum. The initial angular momentum of the particle is zero since it is moving in a straight line parallel to the x-axis. After the collision, the particle sticks to the ellipsoid, so the initial angular momentum of the composite system is equal to the angular momentum of the ellipsoid before the collision. Therefore, we have:

L(i) = I*w(i)

where L(i) is the initial angular momentum of the composite system, I is the moment of inertia of the ellipsoid, and w(i) is the initial angular velocity of the ellipsoid.

After the collision, the composite system starts to rotate and precess around the z-axis. The angular momentum of the composite system is now given by:

L(f) = I*w(f) + L(c)

where L(f) is the final angular momentum of the composite system, w(f) is the final angular velocity of the ellipsoid, and L(c) is the angular momentum of the particle that is now attached to the ellipsoid.

Using the conservation of angular momentum, we can equate the initial and final angular momenta and solve for w(f):

I*w(i) = I*w(f) + L(c)

w(f) = (I*w(i) - L(c))/I

To determine the precession of the ellipsoid, we can use the formula:

ω(p) = w(f)/cosθ

where ω(p) is the precession angular velocity, w(f) is the final angular velocity of the ellipsoid, and θ is the angle between the angular momentum vector and the z-axis.

In this case, since the ellipsoid is rotating and precessing around the z-axis, the angle θ is equal to 90 degrees. So we have:

ω(p) = w(f)/cos90 = w(f)

Substituting the value of w(f) we calculated earlier, we get:

ω(p) = (I*w(i) - L(c))/(I*cos90)

Related to Precession of ellipsoid Question

1. What is precession of ellipsoid?

Precession of ellipsoid refers to the gradual shift in the orientation of an ellipsoid, or a three-dimensional geometric shape, as it rotates around its axis of symmetry. This phenomenon is commonly observed in celestial bodies such as planets, moons, and stars.

2. What causes precession of ellipsoid?

The main cause of precession of ellipsoid is the influence of external forces such as gravitational pull and torque. In the case of celestial bodies, the gravitational pull of other bodies and the rotation of the body itself can cause precession.

3. How is precession of ellipsoid measured?

Precession of ellipsoid is typically measured by observing the change in the orientation of the axis of rotation of the ellipsoid over time. This can be done using specialized instruments such as gyroscopes or through satellite imaging.

4. What are the applications of precession of ellipsoid?

The study of precession of ellipsoid has several practical applications. It is used to accurately determine the orientation of Earth's poles, which is important for navigation and mapping. It is also used in geodesy to measure the shape and size of Earth.

5. How does precession of ellipsoid affect Earth's climate?

The precession of Earth's axis causes a change in the amount of solar radiation received by different regions of the planet, which can affect global climate patterns. This phenomenon, known as Milankovitch cycles, is believed to play a role in the long-term climate changes on Earth.