Pre-Reqs for Materials Engineering

In summary, the individual is currently an undergraduate student majoring in Physics in the United States and plans to pursue a masters in materials engineering in Israel. They are seeking advice on the necessary prerequisites for this program, and mention a list of courses they have already taken, including General Physics, General Chemistry, Thermodynamics, and others. They also mention internships and research experience in CNTs and fuel cells. An expert recommends Organic Chemistry as an important course for chemical engineering programs, but notes that it may be possible to catch up on any missing prerequisites through undergraduate courses. The individual expresses concern about fitting Organic Chemistry into their schedule, but is open to making it work.
mbrmbrg
Currently, I'm an undergraduate majoring in Physics in America, and I want to get my masters in materials engineering in Israel (which works on the European education system--aaack!)
Does anyone have any ideas what sort of pre-requisites I'll need?

By the time I graduate I will have taken (among other things, like Storytelling):
-General Physics + lab
-General Chemistry + lab
-Thermodynamics
-Physical Chemistry I (i.e. chemical thermo)
-Intermediate Physics Lab
-Electricity and Magnetism
-Introduction to Modern Physics
-Classical Mechanics (possibly same thing as analyltical mechanics)
-Introduction to Computer Science (read: the bare basics of programming in C++)
-Either Quantum Mechanics or Quantum Chemistry or both
-colloquium (sitting in on guest lectureres who are talking to the faculty)
-Linear Algebra
-Caculus I-III
-Differential Equations
-Mathematical Physics
also internships/at least a year's worth of research in CNTs and fuel cells

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I recommend Organic Chemistry. That is important for chemical engineering programs since it helps you understand things like polymers.

Maybe you can squeeze it in if you skip classes which may overlap with other classes like Physical Chemistry I and Thermodynamics. Every university is different though.

However I think many graduate programs will allow you to take undergraduate courses to catch up if you are missing anything.

Thanks!
Yeah, it was really Orgo that's on my mind...
It fits into my schedule for next semester but it may overload me, so I was hoping to avoid it.

Related to Pre-Reqs for Materials Engineering

1. What are the basic requirements for studying Materials Engineering?

The basic requirements for studying Materials Engineering typically include a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, as well as a background in chemistry and materials science. Additionally, many universities may also require students to have completed courses in computer programming, mechanics, and thermodynamics.

2. Are there any specific courses or subjects that are required for Materials Engineering?

While the specific courses may vary depending on the university, some common subjects that are required for Materials Engineering include materials characterization, materials processing, and materials properties. Other important courses may include materials design, mechanics of materials, and materials selection.

3. Can I study Materials Engineering without a background in engineering?

Yes, it is possible to study Materials Engineering without a background in engineering. Many universities offer introductory courses in materials science and engineering for students who do not have a strong engineering background. However, having a foundation in mathematics and science is still important for success in this field.

4. Are there any prerequisites for taking advanced Materials Engineering courses?

Yes, there may be prerequisites for taking advanced Materials Engineering courses. These prerequisites may include completing introductory materials engineering courses, as well as having a certain GPA or grade in related courses. It is important to check with your university to see what specific prerequisites are required for advanced courses.

5. Can I transfer credits from other majors towards Materials Engineering pre-requisites?

This will vary depending on the university and their specific transfer policies. Some universities may allow credits from related courses, such as chemistry or physics, to be transferred towards Materials Engineering pre-requisites. However, it is important to check with your university to see what transfer credits they accept and how they can be applied towards Materials Engineering pre-requisites.