Pre-Calculus Books: Find Self-Taught Resources

In summary, the conversation is about finding a good self-taught pre-calculus book. One person recommends a resource on how to self-study mathematics and another suggests a book from Amazon. However, someone else mentions that the book may not be the best for self-teaching and apologizes for recommending it. They also mention that the book does not provide a clear overview of pre-calculus topics.
Mathi-429
Hello Everyone,

I was looking for a good self taught pre-calculous books.

Thanks for all replies!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks so much!

lonely_nucleus said:
I read this book it is default for my high school, I liked it and it is a pretty standard book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/1565770420/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Actually I do not think that saxon series is great for self-teaching, it is more designed for doing homework, I should not have recommended it. I am sorry. Furthermore that series does a bad job teaching trigonometry and the topics are not organized. For example trigonometry lessons are scattered throughout the books 110 lessons or so.

The book teaches you how to solve problems but does not give you the big picture of pre-calculus.

Related to Pre-Calculus Books: Find Self-Taught Resources

1. What is Pre-Calculus?

Pre-Calculus is a branch of mathematics that covers advanced algebra and trigonometry topics, preparing students for the study of calculus.

2. Why should I use a self-taught resource for Pre-Calculus?

Self-taught resources provide a flexible and independent learning experience for students who may not have access to traditional classroom instruction. They also allow students to learn at their own pace and focus on specific areas of difficulty.

3. What should I look for in a good Pre-Calculus book?

A good Pre-Calculus book should have clear explanations, plenty of practice problems, and a variety of examples and applications. It should also cover all the necessary topics and provide additional resources such as online quizzes or video tutorials.

4. Are there any online resources for self-study of Pre-Calculus?

Yes, there are many online resources available for self-study of Pre-Calculus, such as Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Coursera. These resources offer video lectures, practice problems, and interactive tools to enhance the learning experience.

5. How can I use a Pre-Calculus book effectively for self-study?

To use a Pre-Calculus book effectively for self-study, it is important to have a study plan and set goals for each study session. It is also helpful to actively engage with the material by taking notes, solving practice problems, and seeking additional resources or assistance when needed.