Practice Test- Box sliding down a slope

In summary: If there was no person pushing the box up the incline then the box would slide down the incline because there is a downward force of gravity.
ammcl30
1. A 30kg box is placed on a 15° slope and a person pushes on the box up the slope to keep it from sliding. If the coefficient of static friction is 0.15, what is the minimum force that the person must exert to keep the box in place?

Answer Choices:
A. 273N
B. 241N
C. 33.5 N
D. 64.7 N
E. 294 N

2. Fs≤μs*N
F=μ*N
N=mg <-----not sure about that because I know normal force changes depending on the situation but I think this applies here.

Also my teacher has us use g= 9.8 NOT 9.81
3. So first I calculated the normal force: N=mg -----> (30)(9.8) = 294 N
Then I put my normal force into the equation F=μ*N ------> (.15)(294)= 44.1 N
This was not one of the answer choices. However I recalled this equation : Fs≤μs*N.
Since I was solving for the force that was a minimum I assumed that out of my answer choices C. 33.5 N was correct because 33.5 ≤ 44.1 which was my calculated force. This turned out to be the correct answer on the answer sheet. However I feel that this was more of a guess that happened to be right rather than the correct way of doing this. Any help is appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ammcl30 said:
N=mg <-----not sure about that because I know normal force changes depending on the situation but I think this applies here.
First step is to fix this value for normal force. The normal force would equal mg if the surface were horizontal, but it's not. What's the component of the weight perpendicular to the surface?

Once you have the correct normal force you can figure out the maximum value of static friction.

Next is to ask this question: If the person didn't push the box up the incline, what would happen and why?

Box pushed up an incline

Doc Al said:
First step is to fix this value for normal force. The normal force would equal mg if the surface were horizontal, but it's not. What's the component of the weight perpendicular to the surface?

Once you have the correct normal force you can figure out the maximum value of static friction.

Next is to ask this question: If the person didn't push the box up the incline, what would happen and why?

So the component would be (30)cos15= 28.97. Cosine because I defined the incline as the x direction.

ammcl30 said:
So the component would be (30)cos15= 28.97. Cosine because I defined the incline as the x direction.
Almost. You want mgcosθ, not just mcosθ.

Doc Al said:
Almost. You want mgcosθ, not just mcosθ.

Okay so my normal force would be : (30)(9.8)cos (15°) = 283.982
Then from this I would plug my normal force into F=μN?

ammcl30 said:
Okay so my normal force would be : (30)(9.8)cos (15°) = 283.982
Good.

Then from this I would plug my normal force into F=μN?
That would give you the maximum value of static friction.

Doc Al said:
Good.

That would give you the maximum value of static friction.

Okay so F= .15 * 283.98= 42.59 N of maximum static friction. Obviously I could just pick the correct answer at this point, but I'm sure there is a way to calculate the minimum force. My first reaction would be to calculate the F= μM because that would account for just the objects weight against the friction force and then I could subtract that from my maximum force to get minimum force. However that would give me 4.5 N which isn't enough to get me to the 33.5 N answer

ammcl30 said:
Okay so F= .15 * 283.98= 42.59 N of maximum static friction.
Good.

Obviously I could just pick the correct answer at this point, but I'm sure there is a way to calculate the minimum force.
Of course there is.

My first reaction would be to calculate the F= μM because that would account for just the objects weight against the friction force and then I could subtract that from my maximum force to get minimum force. However that would give me 4.5 N which isn't enough to get me to the 33.5 N answer
μM has no physical meaning. It's not even a force! (Wrong units, for one thing.)

Answer the question I asked earlier: If there were no person pushing the box up the incline, what would happen and why? (What force acts to push the box down the incline?)

Doc Al said:
Good.

Of course there is.

μM has no physical meaning. It's not even a force! (Wrong units, for one thing.)

Answer the question I asked earlier: If there were no person pushing the box up the incline, what would happen and why? (What force acts to push the box down the incline?)

If there was no person pushing the box up the incline then the box would slide down because there are no forces to act on it going up the ramp. The forces that push the box down would be gravity and static friction.

ammcl30 said:
If there was no person pushing the box up the incline then the box would slide down because there are no forces to act on it going up the ramp. The forces that push the box down would be gravity and static friction.
Gravity acts to push the box down. Compare the component of the weight acting down the incline to the max static friction which is trying to prevent the box from sliding down.

Related to Practice Test- Box sliding down a slope

1. What is the purpose of the "Practice Test- Box sliding down a slope" experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to study the motion of a box sliding down a slope and to understand the principles of forces, acceleration, and energy involved in this type of motion.

2. What materials are needed for the "Practice Test- Box sliding down a slope" experiment?

The materials needed for this experiment include a box, a slope (such as a ramp or incline), a measuring tape, a stopwatch, and a calculator.

3. How do you set up the "Practice Test- Box sliding down a slope" experiment?

To set up the experiment, place the slope at an angle and place the box at the top of the slope. Make sure the slope is smooth and free from any obstructions. Use the measuring tape to measure the length of the slope. Place the stopwatch at the bottom of the slope and have it ready to start timing.

4. What measurements should be taken during the "Practice Test- Box sliding down a slope" experiment?

The measurements that should be taken during the experiment include the length of the slope, the time it takes for the box to reach the bottom of the slope, and the mass of the box. These measurements will be used to calculate the acceleration and the forces acting on the box.

5. What conclusions can be drawn from the "Practice Test- Box sliding down a slope" experiment?

Based on the measurements and calculations, it can be concluded that the force of gravity and the angle of the slope have a significant impact on the acceleration of the box. It can also be observed that as the angle of the slope increases, the acceleration of the box also increases. This experiment also demonstrates the conservation of energy, as the potential energy of the box at the top of the slope is converted into kinetic energy as it slides down the slope.