Practical Ceramics: Affordable Microwave Thermos Bottle?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential for creating a thermos bottle that can be put in a microwave at a reasonable price, given the advanced insulation technology used in the space shuttle's ceramic tiles. The speaker questions the usefulness of such a product, arguing that a good thermos should not need to be heated in a microwave and that they are accustomed to getting hot coffee from vending machines. They also question the relevance of the space shuttle's technology in this context.
jimbot
The space shuttle had thousands of tiles that were close to the ultimate insulators. Has anyone gotten to the point where they're not $1000s a pound yet? I was wondering if anyone has created a thermos bottle that you could put in a microwave for a reasonable price. Why can't they spin off something useful from all those $ they spent on the shuttle?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I can't see what's so useful about a thermos that can be put in a microwave. A good thermos shouldn't need to be put in a microwave, and if you want to heat up your coffee anyway, why carry it in a thermos ? Or maybe I'm just used to getting hot (albeit lousy) coffee from the vending machine.

I think I'm missing the point here...I don't see the relevance of the ceramic tiles.

It is certainly possible for practical ceramics to be used in creating an affordable microwave thermos bottle. The space shuttle tiles were made of a type of ceramic called silica tiles, which were designed to withstand extreme temperatures and act as insulators. While these tiles may be expensive due to their specialized use in space travel, there are other types of ceramics that can be more cost-effective and still provide similar properties.

In fact, there are already ceramic materials that are commonly used in microwave-safe dishes and containers. These materials are microwave-safe because they do not absorb microwaves and can withstand the heat generated by them. Therefore, it is not a stretch to imagine that these same materials could be used to create an affordable microwave thermos bottle.

As for why we have not seen more practical applications of ceramics from the space shuttle program, it is important to remember that the primary goal of the shuttle was to transport astronauts and cargo into space. While there have been some spin-off technologies developed from the program, such as improved insulation and fire-resistant materials, the focus was not on creating consumer products.

However, with advancements in technology and materials, it is certainly possible for practical ceramics to be used in a variety of everyday products, including a microwave thermos bottle. It may just be a matter of time and investment in research and development to make it a reality.

Related to Practical Ceramics: Affordable Microwave Thermos Bottle?

1. What is a practical ceramic microwave thermos bottle?

A practical ceramic microwave thermos bottle is a type of insulated drinking container made from ceramic materials that is designed to keep hot or cold beverages at their desired temperature for extended periods of time. It is also safe to use in a microwave for heating or reheating drinks.

2. How does a practical ceramic microwave thermos bottle work?

A practical ceramic microwave thermos bottle works by utilizing the insulating properties of ceramic materials to keep the contents of the bottle at a consistent temperature. The bottle is typically double-walled, with a layer of air in between, which helps to prevent heat transfer. This allows the bottle to keep drinks hot or cold for longer periods of time.

3. What are the benefits of using a practical ceramic microwave thermos bottle?

There are several benefits to using a practical ceramic microwave thermos bottle. Firstly, it is a more affordable option compared to other types of insulated bottles. Additionally, ceramic is a non-toxic and non-reactive material, making it safe to use for storing and heating beverages. It is also durable and easy to clean, making it a convenient choice for everyday use.

4. Can I use a practical ceramic microwave thermos bottle for both hot and cold drinks?

Yes, a practical ceramic microwave thermos bottle is designed to keep both hot and cold drinks at their desired temperature. It will keep hot beverages hot and cold beverages cold for extended periods of time, making it a versatile choice for all types of drinks.

5. Are there any precautions I should take when using a practical ceramic microwave thermos bottle?

Yes, there are a few precautions to keep in mind when using a practical ceramic microwave thermos bottle. Firstly, always check the manufacturer's instructions for proper usage and care. It is also important to avoid extreme temperature changes, such as pouring boiling water into a cold bottle, as this can cause the bottle to crack. Additionally, be careful when handling hot liquids and make sure to securely close the lid to prevent spills.