Practical Applications of Calculus: How It Relates to Everyday Life

In summary, in this particular scenario, the application of calculus might be helpful in understanding the evidence and understanding the likelihood of the event.
vishalpandit
Hi,

Calculus is one of those elusive areas which a lot of people grapple with.

Where do we use Calculus in real life?

Please share your ideas for the same.

Cheers
Vishal

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
vishalpandit said:
Hi,

Calculus is one of those elusive areas which a lot of people grapple with.

Please share your ideas for the same.

Cheers
Vishal

The truth is many (I suspect most) people in the world get through life without ever knowing anything about calculus. It simply isn't needed in day-to-day life.

However it is the theoretical underpinning of the mathematics for pretty much everything technical such as all kinds of Engineering and Physics and more. But even those that are involved in teaching calculus or using mathematics in their careers don't need it in their everyday life. I doubt anyone uses calculus when going to the grocery store, shopping for insurance, or planning a vacation.

vishalpandit said:

Depends on what you mean with "we" and with "real life". I certainly use calculus every day, but I'm a mathematician. Most people do not use calculus.

However, you might ask yourself whether you use anything in real life that needs calculus to exist. This is a very different question with a lot of answers. Anything involving physics and engineering is likely to need calculus to exist. Some random examples: airplanes, GPS, electricity, bridges, etc. Calculus is an essential tool in this.

I think this depends on what you consider "calculus." In the philosophy of mathematics there are different perceptions of what mathematics "is." This extends to the disciplines of mathematics.

If you are speaking of the formalized calculus utilizing predicate logic, then I don't think a great many people use this in real life. However, if you mean the principles of calculus: the reasoning of continuity, the concepts of slope and area under a curve, etc., then I would say we utilize calculus in real life. I would say even young children utilize calculus, it is just not in the formalized construction. And I also think that operations of formal schooling discourage students from pursuing this reasoning because it doesn't fit in the box of national assessments.

I think people intuitively utilize the Intermediate Value Theorem. If I said, I took a year off to bike from New York (day 0) to Buenos Aires (day 365), you would possibly ask a series of questions based on reasoning that relates to IVT, even if you don't know what IVT is. You know that to get from New York to Buenos Aires, I would have to travel a continuous path through a set of latitudes. You would pose questions that seemed reasonable, "Did you stop in Panama City?", because you know that I would have to pass through that latitude at some point on my way. Of course, that doesn't mean I didn't make a side trip to Montréal.

This can also come up in trials. For example, the evidence is a set of skid marks 200 feet from a house damaged by a car that collided into it. A fire hydrant between the skid marks and the house is broken. A witness remembers seeing the car making the skid marks, but doesn't know if the car hit the fire hydrant. Is it likely that this car broke the fire hydrant?

Related to Practical Applications of Calculus: How It Relates to Everyday Life

1. What is Calculus used for in real life?

Calculus is used in a variety of fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics to help analyze and solve real-world problems that involve change and motion. Some common applications of calculus include predicting the motion of an object, optimizing business operations, and understanding the growth and decay of populations.

2. How is Calculus different from other branches of mathematics?

Calculus is unique in that it focuses on the study of change and motion. Unlike other branches of mathematics, which deal with static quantities, calculus deals with the analysis of dynamic systems and their behaviors. It also uses the concept of limits, which allows for the precise measurement of infinitely small changes.

3. Can you give an example of how Calculus is used in physics?

One example of how Calculus is used in physics is in the study of motion. By using calculus, we can calculate the velocity and acceleration of an object at any given time, as well as determine its position at any point in time. This is essential for understanding the laws of motion and predicting the behavior of objects in the physical world.

4. How does Calculus help with optimization problems?

Calculus is essential for solving optimization problems, which involve finding the maximum or minimum value of a function. By using the derivative, we can identify critical points on a graph, where the slope is equal to zero. These points can then be used to determine the optimal solution to the problem.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong understanding of Calculus to use it in real life?

While a strong understanding of Calculus is beneficial, it is not always necessary to use it in real life. Many software programs and calculators have built-in functions that can perform calculus operations, making it easier for individuals to apply Calculus in various fields. However, having a solid understanding of the principles and concepts of Calculus can help to better interpret and utilize these tools.