Powersing Two 12V Motors: A Complete Guide

In summary, when using two 12v motors, you can either use two 12v supplies if they are wired separately, or one 12v supply if they are wired in parallel. If they are wired in series, you will need one 24v supply, but it is important to make sure the motors draw the same current at 12v before doing so.
Jones1987
Hi, new to the whole electrical side of things, have never been good with voltages, currents or resistance etc. So I apologise for any simple questions.

So if I have two 12v motors, does this mean I have to include two 12v (or one 24v) supplies? Or somehow does a 12v supply power both of them just at a lower voltage?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Jones1987 said:
Hi, new to the whole electrical side of things, have never been good with voltages, currents or resistance etc. So I apologise for any simple questions.

So if I have two 12v motors, does this mean I have to include two 12v (or one 24v) supplies? Or somehow does a 12v supply power both of them just at a lower voltage?

Thanks.

If they are wired separately, they will require two 12v supplies.
If they are wired in parallel, they will require one 12v supply.
If they are wired in series, they will require one 24v supply.

OmCheeto said:
If they are wired in series, they will require one 24v supply.
. . . as long as they draw (close to) the same current at 12V. If not, then do not wire them in series.

Related to Powersing Two 12V Motors: A Complete Guide

1. How do I power two 12V motors simultaneously?

In order to power two 12V motors at the same time, you will need a power supply that can handle the total voltage and current required by both motors. This can be achieved by connecting the positive terminals of both motors to the positive output of the power supply and the negative terminals to the negative output. Make sure to check the voltage and current rating of your power supply to ensure it can handle the load.

2. Can I use a single power source for both motors?

Yes, you can use a single power source for both motors as long as it meets the voltage and current requirements of both motors. However, it is recommended to use a separate power source for each motor to prevent any potential issues or uneven power distribution.

3. Do I need a motor controller for each motor?

It depends on the type of motor you are using. If you are using a brushed DC motor, you can use a single motor controller for both motors. However, if you are using a stepper or servo motor, you will need a separate motor controller for each motor.

4. Can I control the speed of each motor separately?

Yes, you can control the speed of each motor separately by using a motor controller that allows for individual speed control. Additionally, you can also use a microcontroller or motor driver to adjust the speed of each motor.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when powering two motors?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when working with motors. Make sure to use a power supply that is properly rated for the motors, avoid overloading the motors, and always use proper wiring and connections to prevent short circuits. It is also recommended to use a fuse or circuit breaker to protect the motors from overcurrent. Always follow the manufacturer's instructions and safety guidelines when working with motors.