Powered Surfboard: Mounting HPA Tank & Turbo Tunnel Fin

• Thread starter malonui
  • Start date
In summary: Boat_on_a_BeltIn summary, the speaker is asking for suggestions on how to mount a HPA (High Pressure Air) tank on a surfboard and use it to provide thrust for paddling. The tank is light and holds 68 C.I at 4500 PSI, and the outlet is directed through a Turbo Tunnel fin. However, the speaker acknowledges that this may not provide power boat performance and is looking for guidance on achieving the best result. The person responding suggests doing research on the speed, drag force, acceleration, and thrust force required for this idea, and points out that the energy density may be too low for practical use. The speaker clarifies that they are hoping to use the air for reaction force, not
malonui
Hi out there, here is my question to those in the know... I want to mount a HPA High Pressure Air tank on the deck of a surfboard and by way of a regulator and inline control valve direct the air through a ducted fan prop and out near the tail of the board hopefully giving enough thrust to power assist paddling. The tank is light ..2.5 lbs and holds 68 C.I at 4500 PSI. The outlet is directed through a Turbo Tunnel fin which is a standard longboard fin with a a cowling type unit integrated into the design. The ID of the Turbo Tunnel is around 40mm. This idea is not to expect power boat performance however would like to think small high pressure bursts would assist a surfer in getting out in difficult sections. Any suggestions to achieve the best result given the info provided would be greatly appreciated

Engineering news on Phys.org
malonui said:
Any suggestions to achieve the best result given the info provided would be greatly appreciated

I'd do some basic research to check feasibility, you need answers to theses sorts of questions:

At what speed/s will it be used?
What is the drag force at theses speed/s?
What acceleration do you want?
What is the thrust force required for this acceleration?
What is the air mass flow rate for this acceleration?

Off the top of my head I would guess your energy density is far to low for a usable device (unless a few seconds of thrust per fill is acceptable) but I'd like to be proved wrong, it's an interesting idea.

Would you use the air to provide reaction force or were you planning to drive a small air motor?

Related to Powered Surfboard: Mounting HPA Tank & Turbo Tunnel Fin

1. How does the HPA tank work on a powered surfboard?

The HPA tank, or high-pressure air tank, is a key component in powering the surfboard. It stores compressed air, which is then released through a valve and into the turbo tunnel fin. This creates a force that propels the surfboard forward.

2. Can the HPA tank be refilled while out on the water?

No, the HPA tank cannot be refilled while out on the water. It needs to be refilled on land using a special compressor designed for high-pressure air tanks.

3. How long does the HPA tank typically last before needing a refill?

The duration of the HPA tank will depend on several factors, such as the size of the tank, the pressure it is filled to, and the weight of the rider. On average, a full tank can last anywhere from 20-30 minutes.

4. Is the turbo tunnel fin necessary for the powered surfboard to work?

Yes, the turbo tunnel fin is a crucial part of the powered surfboard. It helps to direct the compressed air from the HPA tank and create propulsion, giving the rider more speed and control on the water.

5. Are there any safety concerns with using a powered surfboard?

As with any activity involving water and equipment, there are always potential safety concerns. It is important to carefully read and follow all instructions and safety guidelines provided by the manufacturer. It is also recommended to wear appropriate safety gear, such as a life jacket, when using a powered surfboard.