Power surge video - why does the spark travel?

In summary: IxB.In summary, the video captures an electrical surge traveling down a power line, which is caused by the wind.
Borek
Mentor
Any idea what is the physics behind? Why does the spark travel down the line?

• Wow
Likes DennisN and DaveE
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe the Lorentz force pushing clouds of short-circuiting ionized air away from the power source? (I'm not sure I have the direction correct, but I think it would be away...?)

Likes Astronuc and DaveE
berkeman said:
Maybe the Lorentz force pushing clouds of short-circuiting ionized air away from the power source? (I'm not sure I have the direction correct, but I think it would be away...?)
That's my guess. Like a rail gun! The direction is always to make the current loop area increase, to reduce the change in magnetic flux enclosed as the current increases. Lenz's law, I believe.

Likes berkeman
Is it a spark or combustion. I see what appears to be a smoke trail behind the flame.
Somewhat like line of gunpowder in the old westerns.

The title of the video said storm, so my guess is just plain old wind.
1642024295727.png

My firm used to do rocket triggered lightning experiments as shown in the picture. The parallel paths in the picture are repeated strokes. The total time duration is probably 0.3 seconds. The mechanism of horizontal movement is simply a trail of ionized air being blown by the wind.

In the case of the video below, we have continuous arc rather than separate strokes, but still there is a patch of ionized air being blown by the wind. Some of the ions get left behind, but new ones are created each instant.

In this video at 2:53-3:04 ask yourself why this arc wants to move to the left and why a long U rather than a shorter one. IMO, it is once again simply wind.

p.s. I miss Jim Hardy too. He was the best.

Last edited:
Likes BillTre and Borek
oh that's a good video! Listen to Mom, at 3:15 saying "get in here!"

• Haha
Likes Hamiltonian, Astronuc, berkeman and 1 other person
gmax137 said:
"Hey Darryl, grab your little brother Darryl and get your butts back inside!"

Likes Hamiltonian
berkeman said:
I was thinking IxB.

I was also wondering if it phase-to-phase and/or phase-to-neutral/ground.

Likes berkeman
anorlunda said:
The title of the video said storm, so my guess is just plain old wind.
Aint no wind in those trees in the video... :wink:

gmax137 said:
Good thing she didn't tell him to 'go fly a kite, and here's a key'.

• Haha
Likes DennisN, gmax137, BillTre and 1 other person
anorlunda said:
trail of ionized air being blown by the wind.
Similar principle to a Jacob's Ladder?

Likes collinsmark, Klystron, Borek and 2 others
berkeman said:
Aint no wind in those trees in the video... :wink:
I'm not convinced. The arc in the video moved at about 10 m/s (20 knots). The trees had no leaves. 20 knots of wind does not make dramatic visible effects on bare trees. Wind is still my wager.

anorlunda said:
I'm not convinced. The arc in the video moved at about 10 m/s (20 knots). The trees had no leaves. 20 knots of wind does not make dramatic visible effects on bare trees. Wind is still my wager.
+1
https://www.kxan.com/news/stunning-...surge-traveling-down-power-line-during-storm/
The winter storm moving through the area is the same as the one knocking out power to cities in Texas and dropping snow from the Gulf of Mexico to the Ohio River Valley.

Easy to see the arc being affected by wind here causing wire slapping.

Fascinating video, @Borek!
It's eerily beautiful with the different colors of the arc/spark.

1. What causes a power surge in a video?

A power surge in a video can be caused by a sudden increase in the electrical voltage, typically due to lightning strikes, power outages, or faulty electrical equipment.

2. Why does the spark travel in a power surge video?

The spark travels in a power surge video because electricity always seeks the path of least resistance. In a power surge, the sudden increase in voltage causes the electricity to jump from one point to another, resulting in a spark.

3. Can a power surge damage my video equipment?

Yes, a power surge can potentially damage your video equipment. The sudden increase in voltage can overload the equipment and cause it to malfunction or even completely fail.

4. How can I protect my video equipment from power surges?

You can protect your video equipment from power surges by using surge protectors or an uninterruptible power supply (UPS). These devices work by diverting excess voltage away from your equipment, preventing damage.

5. Is it normal for a power surge to occur in a video?

Power surges can happen at any time and are a common occurrence. However, if you are experiencing frequent power surges, it may be a sign of an underlying electrical issue that should be addressed by a professional.