Power Series Solution for y' = 4xy + 2 with Initial Condition y(0)=1

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the power series solution for the differential equation y' = 4xy + 2 with the initial condition y(0) = 1. The person solving the problem rearranges the equation and assumes a series for y, leading to an incorrect solution. The other person suggests using a limit to correct the solution.
Char. Limit
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I am trying to find the power series solution to y' = 4 x y + 2, with the initial condition of y(0)=1.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Simple enough, I say, as I arrange the equation so I have 0 on one side. I get something like this:

[tex]y' - 4 x y - 2 = 0[/tex]

I then assume that [itex]y = \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n x^n[/itex]. I also find that [itex]y' = \sum_{n=0}^\infty (n+1) a_{n+1} x^n[/itex] and I pick, for two, a series like [itex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{1}{2^n}[/itex]. Subbing this all in, I get:

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty \left(a_n - 4 \left(n+1\right) x a_{n+1} - \frac{1}{2^n}\right) x^n = 0[/tex]

Or in other words...

[tex]\left(a_n - 4 (n+1) x a_{n+1} - \frac{1}{2^n}\right) = 0[/tex]

But this doesn't look right. There's an "x" in there that shouldn't be there. What's the best way to remove the x?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Char. Limit! :smile:

You needed to think ahead :wink:
Char. Limit said:
[itex]y = \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n x^n[/itex].

… you needed [itex]xy = \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n x^{n+1}[/itex] :smile:

(and then change the limits, of course)

Related to Power Series Solution for y' = 4xy + 2 with Initial Condition y(0)=1

What is a power series solution?

A power series solution is a method used to solve differential equations by expressing the unknown function as a series, or sum, of terms involving powers of the independent variable. This allows for an approximate solution to the equation, which can be refined by adding more terms to the series.

Why are power series solutions useful?

Power series solutions are useful because they can be used to solve a wide variety of differential equations, including those that do not have exact solutions. They also provide an efficient method for finding approximate solutions, which can be refined as needed.

What types of differential equations can be solved using power series solutions?

Power series solutions can be used to solve linear differential equations, including ordinary and partial differential equations. They are particularly useful for solving equations with variable coefficients.

How do you determine the radius of convergence for a power series solution?

The radius of convergence for a power series solution can be determined by using the ratio test. This involves taking the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive coefficients in the series. The radius of convergence is the distance from the center of the series where this limit is equal to 1.

Are there any limitations to using power series solutions?

While power series solutions are a powerful tool for solving differential equations, they do have some limitations. They may not provide an exact solution for all equations, and the series may not converge for all values of the independent variable. Additionally, the process of determining coefficients and the radius of convergence can be time-consuming for more complex equations.