Power series: radius of convergence

In summary: The easiest way to do that is to just set x = 5/3 and -5/3, and verify that the series converges in each case. That takes care of absolute convergence, and I won't bother with conditional convergence since it isn't an issue here.As for your work, start with the Ratio Test. I'm not sure what you are doing with the Root Test. In any case, your work is much more complicated than it needs to be.
DottZakapa
Homework Statement
radius of convergence of the following power series
##\sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac {2^n+3^n}{4^n+5^n} x^n##
Relevant Equations
convergence tests

in order to find the radius of convergence i apply the root test, that is

##\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} \sqrt [n]\frac {2^n+3^n}{4^n+5^n}##

##\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} \left(\frac {2^n+3^n}{4^n+5^n}\right)^\left(\frac 1 n\right)=\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} \left(\frac {3^n \left(\frac {2^n}{3^n}+1\right)}{5^n\left(\frac{4^n }{5^n}+1\right)}\right)^\left(\frac 1 n\right)= \lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} \left(\frac {3} {5}\right) \left(\frac {\left(\left(\frac {2} {3}\right)^n +1\right)} {\left(\left(\frac{4 } {5}\right)^n+1 \right)}\right)^\left (\frac 1 n \right)=\left(\frac {3} {5}\right) \lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} \left(\frac {\left(\left(\frac {2} {3}\right)^n +1\right)^\left (\frac 1 n \right)} {\left(\left(\frac{4 } {5}\right)^n+1 \right)^\left (\frac 1 n \right)}\right)##

at this point i am stuck, don't know how to handle it, probably i am forgetting some properties in order to simplify, supposing that up to here i did it correctly.

Physics news on Phys.org
How does the limit of the denominator behave? How about the limit of the numerator?

##\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty}e^\left(\frac {log\left(1+\left(\frac 2 3\right)^n\right)}{n}\right)=\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty}e^\left(\left(\frac 2 3\right)^n\frac 1n\right) ##

in which

##\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty}\left(\frac 2 3\right)^n=0##

##\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty}\frac 1n=0##

hence, putting it all together

##\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty}e^\left(0\right)= e^0=1##

then same procedure for the denominator

is all this correct ?

I think that @scottdave is hinting at something simpler. Which term in the numerator dominates for large n? Ignore the other term. Same for the denominator.

DottZakapa said:
Homework Statement:: radius of convergence of the following power series
Relevant Equations:: convergence tests

in order to find the radius of convergence i apply the root test, that is
Minor point, but the summation should be on n rather than k, or else all the exponents should be k.
DottZakapa said:
##\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} \sqrt [n]\frac {2^n+3^n}{4^n+5^n}##
The limit should be applied to the whole n-th term. IOW, including ##x^n##.
DottZakapa said:
##\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} \left(\frac {2^n+3^n}{4^n+5^n}\right)^\left(\frac 1 n\right)=\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} \left(\frac {3^n \left(\frac {2^n}{3^n}+1\right)}{5^n\left(\frac{4^n }{5^n}+1\right)}\right)^\left(\frac 1 n\right)= \lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} \left(\frac {3} {5}\right) \left(\frac {\left(\left(\frac {2} {3}\right)^n +1\right)} {\left(\left(\frac{4 } {5}\right)^n+1 \right)}\right)^\left (\frac 1 n \right)=\left(\frac {3} {5}\right) \lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} \left(\frac {\left(\left(\frac {2} {3}\right)^n +1\right)^\left (\frac 1 n \right)} {\left(\left(\frac{4 } {5}\right)^n+1 \right)^\left (\frac 1 n \right)}\right)##

at this point i am stuck, don't know how to handle it, probably i am forgetting some properties in order to simplify, supposing that up to here i did it correctly.
As already noted, the fraction behaves the same as ##\frac {3^n}{5^n}## in the limit.

Also, you seem to automatically pick the Root Test, at least in two or three threads I've seen. Other tests, such as the Ratio Test, can sometimes be simpler to apply.

Likes scottdave
in the numerator dominates ##3^n## in the denominator ## 5^n #### \Rightarrow \lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} \sqrt [n]\frac {2^n+3^n}{4^n+5^n}\sim \lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} ####\sqrt [n]{ \left(\frac 3 5 \right)^n} \sim \frac 3 5##

correct?

DottZakapa said:
in the numerator dominates ##3^n## in the denominator ## 5^n #### \Rightarrow \lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} \sqrt [n]\frac {2^n+3^n}{4^n+5^n}\sim \lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} ####\sqrt [n]{ \left(\frac 3 5 \right)^n} \sim \frac 3 5##

correct?
Yes, but again, you need to include ##x^n## in the limit. Otherwise you won't be able to get the interval of convergence.

Mark44 said:
Yes, but again, you need to include xnxnx^n in the limit. Otherwise you won't be able to get the interval of convergence.

given

##\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac {2^n+3^n}{4^n+5^n} x^n##

the professor showed us to see it as

##\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n x^n##

and then study ##a_n## as you have seen i do.

Concerning the x in case x is not centred at 0 then i use the substitution ## t= (x-x_0)## or what ever equation, then, once found the radius.|t|<R

-R<t<R

then study the boundaries

Don't know if i made my self clear 😅

This is why i repeatedly solve in this way

Here's a slightly simpler problem ( so that I don't have to write so much), but with exactly the same interval of convergence -- ##\sum_{n = 0}^\infty \frac{3^n x^n}{5^n}##
Using the Ratio Test, I have
##\lim_{n \to \infty}\frac{3^{n + 1} |x|^{n + 1}}{5^{x + 1}} \cdot \frac{5^n}{3^n |x|^n}##
##= \frac{3|x|} 5##

For absolute convergence, we must have ##\frac{3|x|} 5 \Rightarrow |x| < \frac 5 3##
or ## -\frac 5 3 < x < \frac 5 3##
The only things remaining are to check the two endpoints of the interval for convergence.

Related to Power series: radius of convergence

What is a power series?

A power series is an infinite series of the form ∑n=0^∞ cn(x-a)n, where cn are constants, x is the variable, and a is the center of the series. It is a type of mathematical representation used to describe functions, particularly in calculus and analysis.

What is the radius of convergence of a power series?

The radius of convergence is a measure of how far from the center a power series can be evaluated before it no longer converges. It is represented by the variable R and can be calculated using the ratio test. The series will converge for all values of x within the radius of convergence and diverge for values outside of it.

How is the radius of convergence calculated?

The radius of convergence can be calculated using the ratio test, which states that if the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms in the series is less than 1, then the series will converge. The formula for the radius of convergence is R = limn→∞|cn+1|/|cn|.

What happens if the radius of convergence is infinite?

If the radius of convergence is infinite, it means that the series converges for all values of x. This is known as a "convergent power series". In this case, the power series can be treated as a polynomial and can be differentiated and integrated term by term, making it easier to work with in mathematical calculations.

What happens if the radius of convergence is 0?

If the radius of convergence is 0, it means that the series only converges at the center point a. This is known as a "singular power series". In this case, the series may still have some useful properties and can be used in mathematical proofs, but it cannot be evaluated for any other values of x.