Power Series - Interval of Convergence Problem

In summary, when solving an inequality such as (n+1)^2/(kn+1)! / [(n!)^2 / (kn)!] it is helpful to use the ratio test. The limit you are looking for is [2,∞).
mcdowellmg

Homework Statement

For which positive integers k is the following series convergent? (To enter - or , type -INFINITY or INFINITY.)

Summation of n=1 to infinity of (n!)^2 / (kn)!

Homework Equations

ratio test: limit n-->infinity of [((n+1)!)^2/(kn+1)!] / [(n!)^2 / (kn)!] (have the original equation's n's replaced with n+1 and then divide that by the original equation)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am getting lost in how to simplify everything in order to find a convergence (or not). I have limit n --> infinity of [((n_1)!)^2 / (kn+1)!] * (kn)!/(n!)^2. Basically, I am multiplying by the reciprocal. I turned (kn+1)! into (kn+1)(kn!) and canceled out the other (kn)!, and I know I need to do something similar to (n!)^2, but I am not sure what to do?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
mcdowellmg said:

Homework Statement

For which positive integers k is the following series convergent? (To enter - or , type -INFINITY or INFINITY.)

Summation of n=1 to infinity of (n!)^2 / (kn)!

Homework Equations

ratio test: limit n-->infinity of [((n+1)!)^2/(kn+1)!] / [(n!)^2 / (kn)!] (have the original equation's n's replaced with n+1 and then divide that by the original equation)
These are expressions you're working with, not equations.
mcdowellmg said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I am getting lost in how to simplify everything in order to find a convergence (or not). I have limit n --> infinity of [((n_1)!)^2 / (kn+1)!] * (kn)!/(n!)^2. Basically, I am multiplying by the reciprocal. I turned (kn+1)! into (kn+1)(kn!) and canceled out the other (kn)!, and I know I need to do something similar to (n!)^2, but I am not sure what to do?
Using the ratio test you should be working with the following limit:
[tex]\lim_{n \to \infty}\frac{a_{n + 1}}{a_n}= \lim_{n \to \infty}\frac{[(n+1)!]^2}{[k(n + 1)]!} \frac{(kn)!}{(n!)^2}[/tex]

The key to simplification of these expressions is recognizing that [(n + 1)!]2 = (n + 1)2 * n2 * (n - 1)2 * ... * 32 * 22 = (n + 1)2 * (n!)2.

Similarly, [k(n + 1)]! = (kn + k) * (kn + k - 1)* (kn * k - 2) * ... * (kn + 1) * (kn)!.

Last edited:
Thank you!

I ended up getting [2,∞) with your help.

Well, now I am confused because it was listed as correct on WebAssign, the homework website I am using for my class.

I take back what I said. I mistakenly expanded [k(n + 1)]! into k(n+1) * (kn)! It should be [k(n + 1)]! = (kn + k)(kn + k - 1)(kn + k - 2)* ... *(kn + 1) * (kn)!

I have edited my earlier post.

Related to Power Series - Interval of Convergence Problem

1. What is a power series?

A power series is a mathematical representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms raised to different powers. It is typically written in the form of Σn=0 cn(x-a)n, where cn represents the coefficients, x is the variable, and a is the center of the series.

2. What is the interval of convergence for a power series?

The interval of convergence for a power series is the range of values for the variable x that allow the series to converge. In other words, if x falls within this interval, the series will have a finite value. If x falls outside of this interval, the series will either diverge or have an infinite value.

3. How do you determine the interval of convergence for a power series?

To determine the interval of convergence for a power series, you can use the ratio test or the root test. These tests involve taking the limit of the absolute value of the ratio or root of successive terms in the series. If the limit is less than 1, the series will converge within that interval. If the limit is greater than 1, the series will diverge.

4. Can the interval of convergence for a power series be an open interval?

Yes, the interval of convergence for a power series can be an open interval, a closed interval, or a single point. This depends on the values of x that satisfy the convergence criteria of the series. It is important to note that the endpoints of the interval may or may not be included in the interval of convergence.

5. How can the interval of convergence affect the accuracy of a power series approximation?

The interval of convergence can greatly affect the accuracy of a power series approximation. If the value of x falls within the interval of convergence, the approximation will be accurate. However, if the value of x falls outside of this interval, the approximation will not be accurate and may even be undefined. It is important to check the interval of convergence before using a power series for approximation.