Power over Fiber residential application

In summary, the conversation discussed the possibility of using fiber optics to power home electronics. However, it was concluded that current technology does not allow for efficient power transmission through fiber optics. Alternatives such as using existing power lines for data transmission or shielded cables were suggested. The conversation also included some humorous comments about using food as a power source.
Jimcanada
I have a problem that can't be solved.

So then, I put it to this Physics Forum to see if anyone comes up with a brain storm ( or directs me to a solution which my expert may have been unaware of ).

Doing Power over Fiber is "impossible" today for a broad-based residential application because the conversion is so poor ... once you get up to 20 watts you only get 15-20 % maximum.
As such, it has very limited application in small electronics. The cost also is prohibitive.

My objective is fiber optically wired homes doing not just data but power as well.
Evidently, the power part is not possible. Does that apply as well if the power is DC?

Any ideas? Thanks
( and pardon me if my questions and statements lack clarity or rigor ).

Physics news on Phys.org
Jimcanada said:
I have a problem that can't be solved.

So then, I put it to this Physics Forum to see if anyone comes up with a brain storm ( or directs me to a solution which my expert may have been unaware of ).

Doing Power over Fiber is "impossible" today for a broad-based residential application because the conversion is so poor ... once you get up to 20 watts you only get 15-20 % maximum.
As such, it has very limited application in small electronics. The cost also is prohibitive.

My objective is fiber optically wired homes doing not just data but power as well.
Evidently, the power part is not possible. Does that apply as well if the power is DC?

Any ideas? Thanks
( and pardon me if my questions and statements lack clarity or rigor ).

Welcome to the PF. To power home electronics devices, you need much more power than can be delivered optically. Also, power wiring can be multi-drop, but FO connections are point-to-point. The difference in topologies means you will probably be running separate cables for each.

Thanks berkeman.

So then, nothing, anywhere that enables power over fiber in this type of an environment then eh? Don't mean to start my post so negative... rather than stating flatly " I have a problem that can't be solved."... might rather have added ... By Me!

Jimcanada said:
Thanks berkeman.

So then, nothing, anywhere that enables power over fiber in this type of an environment then eh? Don't mean to start my post so negative... rather than stating flatly " I have a problem that can't be solved."... might rather have added ... By Me!

Well, what kind of devices were you hoping to power? Can you list some explicit examples, and the power required by each?

The generation of the laser power source is inefficient, and receiving the power using some sort of solar panels is even more inefficient.

Think what would happen if you broke the fiber and had a mere 1200 watts of light out in your room. Sun glasses anyone?

dlgoff said:
Think what would happen if you broke the fiber and had a mere 1200 watts of light out in your room. Sun glasses anyone?

a couple of watts of laser beam is enough punch a hole in metal

You can, however, use the existing power lines to transmit data. I don't know how noisy they are in the frequency bands needed, however. (I do know friends who successfully communicated between one wall socket and another for their senior project, and there are commercial products that do so, also).

waht said:
a couple of watts of laser beam is enough punch a hole in metal

Not emitted from the bare end of an optical fiber, it isn't.

To berkeman, all product in a typical home - the works really.

In terms of "breaking the fiber", someone described a feedback loop-sensor to eliminate the possibility.

Regards to "solar panels is even more inefficient" ... yup and we would definitely want solar...
this is why I present the challenge to such an august group as this!

As far as using "existing power lines to transmit data" well, that is back to the problem we want to eliminate actually... dirty electricity.

The larger solution - if not fiber - becomes shielded cable. Thanks all.

Hmmm...
When I read the title of this thread, I thought that it had something to do with bran buds as an enemy of plumbing. You can't even imagine my disappointment upon having read the post.

Danger said:
Hmmm...
When I read the title of this thread, I thought that it had something to do with bran buds as an enemy of plumbing. You can't even imagine my disappointment upon having read the post.

LOL. Cherios give you power! :smile:

berkeman said:
LOL. Cherios give you power! :smile:

But nothing like natchos and beer. If you plumbed my *** to a turbine, I could probably power half of North America. :biggrin:

Related to Power over Fiber residential application

1. What is "Power over Fiber" (PoF) and how does it work in residential applications?

Power over Fiber (PoF) is a technology that allows electrical power to be transmitted over fiber optic cables. In residential applications, this means that both data and power can be delivered to devices, such as wireless access points, security cameras, and smart home systems, using a single fiber optic cable. This is made possible by converting the electrical power into light signals that are transmitted over the fiber optic cable and then converted back into electrical power at the receiving end.

2. What are the advantages of using PoF in residential applications?

There are several advantages to using PoF in residential applications. These include increased safety due to the absence of high-voltage electricity, reduced installation and maintenance costs as only one cable is needed for both data and power, and improved reliability as fiber optic cables are less susceptible to interference and can transmit power over longer distances.

3. What types of devices can be powered using PoF in residential applications?

PoF can be used to power a wide range of devices in residential applications, including wireless access points, security cameras, smart home systems, and even small appliances. However, it is important to note that not all devices are compatible with PoF, so it is important to check the specifications of the device before attempting to power it using PoF.

4. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using PoF in residential applications?

One limitation of PoF in residential applications is that the power that can be transmitted over fiber optic cables is currently limited to a few watts. This means that it may not be suitable for powering high-power devices such as large appliances or heavy-duty equipment. Additionally, PoF systems may be more complex and expensive to install compared to traditional electrical wiring in some cases.

5. What is the future of PoF in residential applications?

PoF technology is still relatively new and is constantly evolving. In the future, we can expect to see advancements in PoF systems that will allow for higher power transmission, as well as increased compatibility with a wider range of devices. It is also possible that PoF will become more widely adopted in residential applications as the technology becomes more affordable and easier to install.