Power output of automobile at different engine rpm

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between a car's engine power and its RPM. The speaker also mentions the efficiency of gasoline engines and how it affects power output. They also discuss the fuel consumption and power output while going up a steep hill at a certain RPM. The conversation concludes that engine power is not linearly related to RPM and can vary depending on factors such as load and efficiency.
Steve Aplin
I figure my 2.4 liter Volvo will burn about a liter of gasoline over an hour of idling (source: Natural Resources Canada). Since a liter of gasoline contains roughly 33.8 million joules (~9.4 kilowatt-hours) of energy, I figure that that means my car idles at a power output of around 9.4 kilowatts.

The tachometer indicates rpm of ~700 while idling.

Can I infer from that that when I'm climbing a steep hill at 100 kilometers per hour and the tach is showing rpm of around 3,500 that the engine at that moment is outputting around 47 kilowatts?

It seems logical to me to assume that if the engine speed is 5x on the hill climb then its fuel consumption is 5x that of idling, and that fuel consumption = power output.

Is this a reasonable assumption?

(I know my gasoline engine is at most 20 efficient, and I am not trying to say that moving a 3-ton vehicle at 100 kph up a steep hill requires 47 kW. I am talking only about the gross power output of the fuel.)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Engine power is not especially linearly related to RPM.

All engines will have a range of RPM for which they are most efficient. This has to do with such things as the speed the fuel-air mixture gets into the cylinder, the time the burning fuel has to push on the piston, and the time the exhaust has to get out of the cylinder. The typical design will put this "sweet spot" in the middle of ordinary driving conditions.

Further, the engine RPM is not the only estimate of power. The engine can be exerting different forces at the same speed, depending on the load. So if you were going uphill as in your example, it may be working very hard. If you were going along on level ground with the same RPM, it would probably not be working nearly as hard.

DEvens, thanks -- I guess I'm trying to figure out only gross power output from the gasoline... sounds from your reply that there is some feedback relationship between fuel consumption and the force going into the powertrain. Going up the steep hill at 3,500 rpm, would there be more fuel consumption than down the same hill at the same rpm? Pistons are moving up and down at the same rate, but the force they are imparting to the connecting rods etc. is vastly different.

DEvens said:
Engine power is not especially linearly related to RPM.
Engine power is not really related to RPM at all. An engine has a wide range of possible amounts of torque that it can generate at any particular rpm. That's why at any particular rpm you might be accelerating, decelerating or staying at the same speed.
Steve Aplin said:
Going up the steep hill at 3,500 rpm, would there be more fuel consumption than down the same hill at the same rpm? Pistons are moving up and down at the same rate, but the force they are imparting to the connecting rods etc. is vastly different.
Sure. You might be using 30L/hr on the way up and nothing at all on the way down, at the same RPM.
Since a liter of gasoline contains roughly 33.8 million joules (~9.4 kilowatt-hours) of energy, I figure that that means my car idles at a power output of around 9.4 kilowatts.
Since a car engine is at best 33% efficient (and probably a lot less at idle), it is probably more like 3 kW output at idle...
...of course, depending on your definition, at idle you could also say the power output is zero.

Related to Power output of automobile at different engine rpm

1. How does the power output of an automobile change at different engine rpm levels?

The power output of an automobile is directly proportional to the engine rpm. This means that as the engine rpm increases, the power output also increases. This is because the engine is able to burn more fuel and produce more energy at higher rpm levels. However, there is usually a maximum power output that the engine can produce, which is typically achieved at a specific rpm range.

2. What is the relationship between engine torque and power output at different rpm levels?

The power output of an engine is a function of both engine torque and rpm. At lower rpm levels, the engine may be producing high torque but low power output. This is because torque is the measure of rotational force, while power is the measure of work done over time. As the rpm increases, the torque decreases but the power output increases.

3. How does the type of fuel affect the power output of an automobile at different rpm levels?

The type of fuel used in an automobile can have an impact on the power output at different rpm levels. For example, diesel engines tend to produce more torque at lower rpm levels, while gasoline engines produce more power at higher rpm levels. This is because diesel fuel is able to produce more energy at lower rpm levels, while gasoline is more efficient at higher rpm levels.

4. Can the power output of an automobile be increased by changing the gear ratio?

Changing the gear ratio can affect the power output of an automobile at different rpm levels. By changing to a lower gear, the engine rpm will increase and so will the power output. However, this may also cause the engine to work harder and potentially decrease its lifespan. It is important to keep the engine within its optimal rpm range for best performance and efficiency.

5. How does the weight of an automobile impact its power output at different rpm levels?

The weight of an automobile can have a significant impact on its power output at different rpm levels. A heavier vehicle will require more energy to move, which can decrease the power output at lower rpm levels. This is why smaller, lighter cars tend to have better acceleration and higher power outputs at lower rpm levels compared to larger, heavier vehicles.