Calculating Power Output of an Automobile Engine

In summary, the power output of an engine refers to the amount of power that the engine can produce, and is typically measured in watts or horsepower. It is measured using a dynamometer, and can be affected by factors such as engine size and design, fuel and air intake, and engine condition. The power output can be increased through modifications and regular maintenance, and knowing the power output is important for understanding the capabilities and limitations of the engine.
Abid Rizvi

Homework Statement

During the power stroke in a four-stroke automobile engine, the piston is forced down as the mixture of combustion products and air undergoes an adiabatic expansion. Assume (1) the engine is running at 3400 cycles/min; (2) the gauge pressure immediately before the expansion is 20.0 atm; (3) the volumes of the mixture immediately before and after the expansion are 50.0 cm3 and 400 cm3, respectively; (4) the time interval for the expansion is one-fourth that of the total cycle; and (5) the mixture behaves like an ideal gas with specific heat ratio 1.40. Find the average power generated during the power stroke

Homework Equations

W = integral of PdV
PV^(1.4) = constant

The Attempt at a Solution

So first I found out that it takes approximately .005s for the power stroke.
I found the constant to be approximately (using pascals and m^3) 1.9289. I then said P = 1.9289/V^1.4.
I put that into the integral so integral from .00005 to .0004 of 1.9289/V^1.4 dV. I get about 143 J. After doing the conversions to kw, I am wrong. I found (i know the answer) that I should be getting 150 J to turn into kW, so I don't understand what is wrong with my integral. The other solution that gives 150 J uses dE = nCv dT instead of PdV, but isnt' it the same thing as PdV? Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
What did the model answer use for Cv considering that neither the volume nor the pressure is constant?

The method sounds OK - to see the problem we'd have to see the details.
i.e. how does the pressure being quoted as gauge pressure affect the calculation?
how does using more exact values affect the calculation (you are not far off the model answer.)

The model answer used 5/2 R for Cv. The model for how to get the right answer is on this link: <http://www.cpp.edu/~skboddeker/132/assign/ch21h.htm>. Sorry, but which details are you looking for? All of my work or was it all of the work done in the link above?

PS, in the link, the answer is in the 3rd question

Edit: I just went through the calculation done in the link above, and I realized that although he says he got 150, his equation gives 136 :nb)...

Last edited:
Oh I see ... the model approach is less than ideal since it makes assumptions about information not given.
Compare:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/thermo/adiab.html

$$W=P_1V_1^\gamma \frac{V_2^{1-\gamma}-V_1^{1-\gamma}}{1-\gamma}$$

Maybe the model answer is in error?
The "details" would be step-by-step including the reasoning rather than "I did A and got B".
I gave an example in the i.e.

Sorry this is way late. In the end I figured out the issue. You were right to suspect looking at gauge pressure. I simply needed to add that extra atm... After that everything works! Thanks

No worries and well done.

Related to Calculating Power Output of an Automobile Engine

1. What is power output of an engine?

The power output of an engine refers to the amount of power that the engine can produce. It is typically measured in watts or horsepower and is an indication of the maximum amount of work the engine can do in a given amount of time.

2. How is power output of an engine measured?

The power output of an engine is usually measured using a dynamometer, which is a device that measures the torque and rotational speed of the engine. The power output is then calculated using the formula P = T x ω, where P is power, T is torque, and ω is rotational speed.

3. What factors affect the power output of an engine?

The power output of an engine can be affected by a variety of factors, such as the size and design of the engine, the quality of fuel and air intake, the efficiency of the combustion process, and the condition of the engine components.

4. How can the power output of an engine be increased?

The power output of an engine can be increased by making modifications to the engine components, such as adding a turbocharger or supercharger, improving the air intake and exhaust systems, and optimizing the fuel injection system. Regular maintenance and tuning can also help to improve the engine's power output.

5. What is the significance of knowing the power output of an engine?

Knowing the power output of an engine is important for understanding its capabilities and limitations. It can help in selecting the right engine for a specific application, predicting the performance of a vehicle or machine, and identifying potential issues or improvements that can be made to the engine.