Power of a sine wave (electronics engineering)

In summary, the conversation discusses the formula for calculating the power of a sine wave in communication systems. The formula is derived from the Poynting vector and assumes a resistance of 1 Ohm. The conversation also mentions the use of Fourier transforms and the arbitrary convention of defining instantaneous power as the square of the signal passing through a 1 Ohm resistor.
priscared
This is obviously an electronics question.
In communication systems, to calculate the power of a sine wave, the formula below is used
Power (Sine Wave) = 1/2 * (peak amplitude)^2

This formula is apparently a standard electronics formula.
I'm trying to understand where it comes from. How is it possible to get a power figure from a voltage only? There is no information on period, current, or resistance. Can some one please help explain the logic behind this formula for me?

Maybe its a simple trick, to me they've probably simply integrated the sign wave, but the limits must cancel out... i Don't know... help please..

Cheers
(

Physics news on Phys.org
priscared, I'm pretty sure the definition makes the assumption of "1" unit of resistance - where the unit is whatever makes sense to produce the power units you choose. I've asked this question several times, and that is the only answer I've seen.

yeah... normalised with a 1 Ohm resistor.

>> I'm trying to understand where it comes from.

It is derived from the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poynting_vector" .

>> How is it possible to get a power figure from a voltage only?

P = UI = U*(U/R) = U2/R

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you ever tried Fourier Transform of a pure sine?

what does that have to do with anything trambolin? I mean I know rayleighs equality... but we are wondering about the units here, right?

I meant power of a infinite signal in terms of 2-norm, Plancherel, parseval etc. If everything is normalized as you did for 1 ohm resistance... but anyway, nevermind, maybe you are right.

hmmm... indeed the poynting vector may have some relevance. But if some1 could point me to a meaningful explanation i would be impressed. I am assuming the assumptions is resistance = 1. And that's how the formula exists.

The rule almost seems like an anomaly, every1 uses it without thinking about its origin...

" A signal's instantaneous power is
defined to be its square, as if it were a voltage or current passing through a 1 Ω resistor. "

THanks for the link

This rule is obviously just an arbitrary convention. It's obviously the definition of "instantaneous power".

BTw i can't see how this has anything to do with Fourier transforms.

Related to Power of a sine wave (electronics engineering)

What is a sine wave and how is it related to power in electronics engineering?

A sine wave is a type of waveform that represents a continuous oscillation of a signal over time. In electronics engineering, the power of a sine wave refers to the amount of energy that is being transferred by the wave. It is directly related to the amplitude of the wave, which represents the maximum value of the signal.

Why is a sine wave considered the most efficient waveform for power transmission?

A sine wave is considered the most efficient waveform for power transmission because it has a symmetrical shape and smooth transitions, which results in minimal energy loss during transmission. This makes it ideal for long-distance power transmission, as well as for use in electronic devices.

How is the power of a sine wave calculated in electronics engineering?

The power of a sine wave can be calculated using the formula P = V2/R, where P is power in watts, V is voltage in volts, and R is resistance in ohms. This formula is derived from Ohm's law, which states that the current (I) in a circuit is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the resistance (R).

What factors can affect the power of a sine wave in electronics engineering?

Several factors can affect the power of a sine wave in electronics engineering, including the amplitude of the wave, the frequency of the wave, and the resistance of the circuit. Additionally, external factors such as interference and impedance can also impact the power of a sine wave.

How is the power of a sine wave used in practical applications in electronics engineering?

The power of a sine wave is used in various practical applications in electronics engineering, such as in power transmission and distribution, electric motors, and audio amplifiers. It is also used in signal processing and communication systems to transfer information and data.