Power Flows and Losses in a line between two buses

• Engineering
  • Thread starter falyusuf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line Power
In summary, the conversation is about verifying an answer for a power flow analysis problem. The initial solution seemed complicated due to the Ybus value, but it was later realized that the calculations were actually easier. The only mistake was in calculating the losses between points 2 and 3, which should have been the product of the voltage difference and current, not the conjugate of the voltage. The losses were found to be 0.0004253 [Var] p.u. and this was confirmed by Mr. Hadi Saadat's Power System Analysis chapter 6. The speaker apologizes for their previous mistake and acknowledges that the other person was right. They are currently busy and unable to double-check the solution.
falyusuf
Homework Statement
Attached below.
Relevant Equations
Attached below.
Question:
question.png

Equations:
eq.png

My solution:
attempt.png

Could someone verify my answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
I apologize for the delay. At first glance it seemed complicated especially because Ybus = 0. in reality it is much easier because the voltages and powers are already calculated.
The calculation seems correct to me except for the losses between 2 and 3 which must be the product of V2-V3 voltage with the current and not V2 with the current conjugated as for the flow. There are not actual losses since no resistance is there but only a capacitor of 0.1 ohm reactance. That means the reactive power produced in there it is I^2*Xcap
If I23=0.038-0.053i and Iabs=0.0652 the Qloss=0.0652^2*0.1=0.0004253 [Var] p.u.
The product (V2-V3)*I23=-0.0004253 [Var] p.u. also.

Last edited:
Sorry. Following the publication of Mr. Hadi Saadat

Power System Analysis chapter 6 Power Flow Analysis Example 6.7

it turns out that I was wrong and you are right.

I am still very busy and I have no time to check this.

Related to Power Flows and Losses in a line between two buses

1. What is a power flow in a line between two buses?

A power flow in a line between two buses refers to the amount of electrical energy that is transferred between two points in an electrical system. It is measured in watts and can be either positive (power flowing from one bus to another) or negative (power flowing in the opposite direction).

2. How is power loss calculated in a line between two buses?

Power loss in a line between two buses is calculated by multiplying the square of the current flowing through the line by the resistance of the line. This is known as Joule's Law and is represented by the equation P = I^2 * R. The resulting value is the amount of power lost in the form of heat.

3. What factors affect power flow and losses in a line between two buses?

The amount of power flow and losses in a line between two buses can be affected by several factors, including the length and diameter of the line, the type of conductor material used, the temperature and humidity of the surrounding environment, and the amount of current flowing through the line.

4. How can power losses be minimized in a line between two buses?

There are several ways to minimize power losses in a line between two buses. One way is to use larger diameter conductors, which have lower resistance and therefore result in less power loss. Another way is to reduce the length of the line, as longer lines have higher resistance and therefore higher power losses. Additionally, maintaining proper voltage levels and using efficient transformers can also help minimize power losses.

5. What are the consequences of high power losses in a line between two buses?

High power losses in a line between two buses can lead to decreased efficiency and increased costs for the electrical system. The excess heat generated by the power losses can also cause damage to the line and surrounding equipment. In extreme cases, high power losses can result in power outages and disruptions in service.