Power Electronics: Why Semiconductor Devices Operate as Switches

In summary: Semiconductor devices are more efficient switches because they have low on state resistance and high off state resistance. This makes them ideal for power electronics applications.
smruti
Why only semiconductor devices in Power electronic circuits will operate as switches?

Engineering news on Phys.org
smruti said:
Why only semiconductor devices in Power electronic circuits will operate as switches?
I do not understand your question. Can you restate it more clearly?

suppose i take the case of inverters/choppers/rectifiers, MOSFET,SCRs Diodes are used as switches.we only control the switch on and off state of these devices to get our desired output.it means all these devices are used only as switches in power electronics circuits?

Ah, I see what you mean. Well, it depends on what you mean by power circuit. I assume you mean power DISTRIBUTION systems, yes? There is, for example, a thing called a "power amplifier" in high fidelity electronics and it uses solid state electronics in active mode.

Perhaps the answer to your question is simple...

What is the power dissipated in a switch ? I2 X R ?
R for a switch being very small means a switch doesn't need much of a heatsink.

The same device operated instead in its linear region has substantial R so can get really hot .

Ideal inductors dissipate no heat so we arrange to let them drop the voltage, instead of using a resistive device.

Switching regulators and converters were rare in 1960's. My first encounter with them was in a 1972 computer power supply..

Likes smruti
A device is used as a switch where a switch is needed. A device operates in a linear manner where that type of operation is needed. It has nothing to do with the device and more to do with the application. Notice I did not use the word(s) semiconductor. This is because electron tubes can be used in similar manners.

Likes davenn
Not entirely a valid statement - there there are power BJTs and MOSFETs operating in linear - particularly in high power, high precision DC supplies. The basic answer to your question is efficiency. If the device is operating in linear region it is dropping a V across the device -- for any given current, this results in losses. In SMPS - the objective is to switch as fast as possible ( for an instant the device is in lenear mode) and the V x I still has losses.

Not all power electronics are (or at least were) semiconductor devices. An example is the mercury arc valve.

The move to semiconductors is because they are cheaper and more versatile.

Jeff Rosenbury said:
Not all power electronics are (or at least were) semiconductor devices. An example is the mercury arc valve.
see also amplidyne, saturable reactor, magnetic amplifier...

Related to Power Electronics: Why Semiconductor Devices Operate as Switches

1. How do semiconductor devices function as switches in power electronics?

Semiconductor devices, such as diodes and transistors, have the ability to conduct or block electricity depending on the voltage applied to them. In power electronics, these devices are used as switches to control the flow of electrical current.

2. What are the advantages of using semiconductor devices as switches in power electronics?

Semiconductor switches offer fast switching speeds, high efficiency, and the ability to handle high currents and voltages. They also have a smaller physical size compared to traditional mechanical switches, making them ideal for compact electronic devices.

3. How do semiconductor switches improve the performance of power electronics systems?

By functioning as switches, semiconductor devices can control the flow of electricity more precisely and efficiently. This allows power electronics systems to operate at higher frequencies and with greater accuracy, resulting in improved performance.

4. What are the different types of semiconductor switches used in power electronics?

The most commonly used semiconductor switches in power electronics are diodes, MOSFETs, IGBTs, and thyristors. Each type has its own unique characteristics and is suited for different applications.

5. What are some common applications of power electronics utilizing semiconductor switches?

Power electronics with semiconductor switches are used in a wide range of applications, including motor control, renewable energy systems, power supplies, and electric vehicles. They are also used in industrial equipment, consumer electronics, and telecommunications systems.