Power delivered by battery in simple RL circuit

In summary, the formula for calculating power delivered by a battery in a simple RL circuit is P = I^2R, and it initially starts at its maximum value and gradually decreases as the inductor builds up a magnetic field. Factors such as resistance, current, and inductance affect the power delivered, and increasing resistance will decrease the power delivered. It is not possible for the power to be negative in this scenario.
Taulant Sholla

Homework Statement

For a simple series LR circuit, find the energy delivered to the circuit by the battery.

Homework Equations

I = (V/R)*(1-e-Rt/L)
P=IV
E=∫Pdt

The Attempt at a Solution

Isn't ∫ Pdt = ∫ IVdt = ∫ (V2/R)*(1-e-Rt/L)dt = (V2/R)(t + (L/R)e-Rt/L) ?

The book provides the answer, via a sample problem, of:
Capture.JPG

What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Oops - sorry - disregard the original post.

Related to Power delivered by battery in simple RL circuit

1. What is the formula for calculating power delivered by a battery in a simple RL circuit?

The formula for calculating power delivered by a battery in a simple RL circuit is P = I^2R, where P is power in watts, I is current in amps, and R is resistance in ohms.

2. How does the power delivered by a battery change in a simple RL circuit over time?

The power delivered by a battery in a simple RL circuit initially starts at its maximum value, and gradually decreases as the inductor builds up a magnetic field. Once the magnetic field is fully established, the power delivered by the battery reaches zero.

3. What factors affect the power delivered by a battery in a simple RL circuit?

The power delivered by a battery in a simple RL circuit is affected by the resistance of the circuit, the current flowing through the circuit, and the inductance of the inductor. Other factors such as temperature and the type of battery used can also affect the power delivered.

4. How does the power delivered by a battery change if the resistance in a simple RL circuit is increased?

If the resistance in a simple RL circuit is increased, the power delivered by the battery will decrease as the current flowing through the circuit decreases. This is because the higher resistance creates a larger voltage drop, reducing the amount of current that can flow through the circuit.

5. Can the power delivered by a battery in a simple RL circuit ever be negative?

No, the power delivered by a battery in a simple RL circuit can never be negative. This is because the power is always defined as a positive value, representing the rate at which energy is delivered to the circuit. Negative power would indicate that energy is being taken away from the circuit, which is not possible in this scenario.