Why Does My RL Circuit Analysis Yield a Positive Time Constant?

In summary, the problem is to find the correct equation for the current (i(t)) in an inductor after it is disconnected from a battery and attached to a resistor. The incorrect equation provided is i(t) = i(0)ert/L, and the correct equation is i(t) = i(0)e-rt/L. The student is unsure why their method, which uses a positive time constant, does not work. They suggest that using a negative time constant may account for the decrease in current over time.
yosimba2000

Homework Statement

After a long time, an inductor is disconnected quickly from the battery and then attatched to a resistor.

Homework Equations

V = Ldi/dt
V = ir

The Attempt at a Solution

KVL: voltage across inductor - voltage across resistor = 0
Ldi/dt - ir = 0
di/i = rdt/L
ln|i| from i(t) to i(0) = rt/L + C
i(t)/i(0) = e(rt/L +C)
i(t) = i(0)Cert/L

At time t= 0, i(t) = initial current i(0). Plugging in i(t) = i(0) and t = 0 gives C =1.

Now we have i(t) = i(0)ert/L

The correct equation is i(t) = i(0)e-rt/L, different from what I have; I have a positive time constant r/L.

I know i(t) must be smaller than i(t) when time increases, and usually this is taken care of by a negative constant of integration, but as C = 1, the only way I can account for i(t) < i(0) is to use negative time.

Derivations I have seen started off KVL with -Ldi/di - ir = 0, but I don't understand why my method doesn't also work.

Is my method incorrect?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
yosimba2000 said:
After a long time, an inductor is disconnected quickly from the battery and then attatched to a resistor.
Please state the problem fully including what you are asked to find.

Related to Why Does My RL Circuit Analysis Yield a Positive Time Constant?

What is RL Discharge Derivation?

RL Discharge Derivation is a scientific method used to determine the rate of discharge in a stream or river by measuring the change in water level over time, along with other factors such as channel geometry and roughness.

How is RL Discharge Derivation performed?

RL Discharge Derivation involves taking measurements of water level at different points along a stream or river, typically using a staff gauge or other water level measurement device. These measurements are then used to calculate the rate of discharge using established equations and methods.

What are the main factors that affect RL Discharge Derivation?

The main factors that affect RL Discharge Derivation include the channel geometry, roughness of the channel bed and banks, and the water level measurements taken at different points along the stream or river. Other factors such as changes in weather and precipitation can also impact the accuracy of the derivation.

What are the applications of RL Discharge Derivation?

RL Discharge Derivation is commonly used in hydrology and environmental studies to monitor and understand the flow of water in streams and rivers. It is also used in engineering and construction projects to determine the potential impact of changes in water flow on structures and infrastructure.

Are there any limitations to RL Discharge Derivation?

Like any scientific method, there are limitations to RL Discharge Derivation. It relies on accurate measurements and assumptions about the channel geometry and roughness, which may not always be readily available. Changes in weather and other environmental factors can also affect the accuracy of the results. Additionally, RL Discharge Derivation may not be suitable for highly turbulent or rapidly changing flow conditions.