Potentiel of a source in a corner (Fluid Mechanics)

In summary, the conversation discusses the method of images for finding the potential and pressure between two walls with a source in one corner. The individual has correctly added images of the source but may have made an error in their calculation for pressure using Bernoulli's equation. They are advised to double-check their derivatives and consider the distances and angles involved in the problem.
Nico045
Hi, I made some calculations abiout this problem biut my results are a bit complicated :

We consider two walls in x=0 and y=0, in (a,bi) , a>0, bi>0 ,we have a source in this corner and I need to find the potential biy using the method of image. After this I need to find v, the pression and the forces applied on the walls.

So from what I know, I can add 3 images of the source in (a,-bi) ; (-a,-bi) ; (-a,bi)

Then I would have
W(z) = m/2π * (ln(z-a-bi) + ln(z-a+bi) + ln(z+a-bi) + ln(z+a+bi) )

(conjugate)v=dW(z)/dz = m/2π * (1/(z-a-bi) + 1/(z-a+bi) + 1/(z+a-bi) + 1/(z+a+bi) )

However to find the pression, from bernoulli's equation, I need to calculate v2 = conjugate(v)*v and it gives me something like :

v2= (m/2π)2 * (1/(x+yi-a-bi) + 1/(x+yi-a+bi) + 1/(x+yi+a-bi) + 1/(x+yi+a+bi) ) *(1/(x-yi-a-bi) + 1/(x-yi-a+bi) + 1/(x-yi+a-bi) + 1/(x-yi+a+bi) )

which is very complicated since I have to integrate this expression to get the forces.

Have I done something wrong in the beginning ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your calculations and approach to solving this problem. It seems like you have a good understanding of the method of images and have correctly added the images of the source in order to find the potential. However, I believe the issue may lie in your calculation for the pressure.

In order to calculate the pressure using Bernoulli's equation, you need to take the derivative of the potential with respect to the normal direction of the walls. This would involve taking the derivative of the potential function in terms of x and y, not just z. Additionally, you would need to take into account the distance from the source to the walls, as this would affect the pressure distribution.

I would suggest revisiting your calculation for the pressure and double-checking your derivatives. It may also be helpful to draw a diagram to better visualize the problem and make sure all distances and angles are correctly accounted for.

I hope this helps and good luck with your calculations!

Related to Potentiel of a source in a corner (Fluid Mechanics)

1. What is the potential of a source in a corner?

The potential of a source in a corner refers to the value of the velocity potential at a point in the fluid flow caused by a source (or a point that emits fluid) located at a corner or edge of a surface.

2. How is the potential of a source in a corner calculated?

The potential of a source in a corner can be calculated using the Laplace equation, which relates the velocity potential to the source strength and the distance from the source to the point of interest.

3. What factors affect the potential of a source in a corner?

The potential of a source in a corner is affected by the strength of the source, the angle of the corner, and the distance from the source to the point of interest. Other factors such as the viscosity of the fluid and the presence of other sources or boundaries may also impact the potential.

4. How does the potential of a source in a corner affect fluid flow?

The potential of a source in a corner plays a crucial role in determining the flow pattern of the fluid. It influences the direction and speed of the fluid flow, which can impact the overall behavior and characteristics of the fluid.

5. Can the potential of a source in a corner be negative?

Yes, the potential of a source in a corner can be negative, depending on the strength and location of the source. A negative potential indicates that the fluid is flowing towards the source, while a positive potential indicates that the fluid is flowing away from the source.