Potential graduate school list and help with chances.

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's chances of being accepted into a PhD program in physics and their current choices for schools. They have a GPA of 3.6 and GRE scores of 164 in Quantitative and 161 in Verbal, and are waiting for their physics GRE score. The individual is also wondering if they have enough safety schools and if their grades are good enough for a PhD program. The responder suggests that they have a shot at admission to some of the listed schools and reminds them that the brand name of a school does not determine the quality of education and training they will receive.
rogerd
Hi,

I could use some help in evaluating my choices for a phd program in physics. Below is my background and I was wondering what you thought of my chances at the schools listed below or if you have any suggestions for other schools. I want to study atomic, molecular, optical physics for my PhD. Do I have enough safety schools and if I don't please give me some suggestions for other safety schools?

My stats are:

Overall GPA 3.6
Physics GPA 3.3

GRE Scores Quant. 164
Verbal 161

Waiting for physics GRE score.

Temple U
Worcester Polytech
Texas Tech
Univ of Central Fl
Auburn
Colorado School of Mines
Kansas State
Louisiana State
Missouri S & T
Lehigh
Univ. of Delaware
Univ of CA Irvine

Do I have a shot at a PhD program - my grades aren't stellar?

Thank you for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have a shot at admission to a few of those schools. You are being quite realistic to where you have applied to considering your GPA. It doesn't mean that you won't get a very good training for your Ph.D, though. Most of these schools may not be the "brand name" ones that everyone seems to be clamoring for, but it doesn't mean that they could not offer you a solid education and training.

Zz.

Related to Potential graduate school list and help with chances.

1. What factors should I consider when creating a potential graduate school list?

When creating a potential graduate school list, it is important to consider factors such as the program's reputation, faculty expertise, research opportunities, location, cost, and any specific requirements or preferences you may have.

2. How many schools should I include on my potential graduate school list?

There is no set number of schools to include on your list, but most experts recommend having at least 5-7 options. This allows for a diverse range of programs and increases your chances of acceptance.

3. Can I get help with narrowing down my potential graduate school list?

Absolutely. Many universities have advisors or counselors who can assist you in narrowing down your list based on your interests, qualifications, and career goals. You can also seek advice from current graduate students or alumni.

4. How can I assess my chances of being accepted into a graduate program?

Factors that can affect your chances of acceptance include your undergraduate GPA, GRE or other standardized test scores, letters of recommendation, and relevant research or work experience. It is also important to carefully review the program's requirements and make sure you meet them.

5. Is it necessary to visit potential graduate schools before applying?

While it is not necessary, visiting a potential graduate school can give you a better sense of the campus, faculty, and overall atmosphere. It can also help you make a more informed decision about which schools to include on your list.