Potential Energy vs. Position Graphs

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the x-component of the force on a particle at different positions, based on its potential energy shown in a figure. The conversation highlights the importance of understanding the concept of slope and units in order to accurately calculate the force. It is concluded that the force will be constant throughout the given range of positions.
sunnnystrong

Homework Statement

A particle has the potential energy shown in the figure. (Figure 1) What is the
x-component of the force on the particle at x =5, 15, 25, and 35 cm?

I'm stuck on finding the Fx at 25 & 35 cm.

Homework Equations

F = -du/dx
100 N = 1J/cm

The Attempt at a Solution

Slope throughout 20-40 cm is a constant positive .5.

So at 25 cm it should be :
F = -.5/25cm * 100 = -2 N

This is incorrect. I'm really confused?

Attachments

• knight_Figure_11_16.jpg
    knight_Figure_11_16.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 1,475
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey! You're spot on that the slope is constant throughout the 20cm-40cm range which means the average rate of change in that region is equal to the instantaneous rate of change at all points in the region. You also correctly pointed out that the expression for force is the negative or the rate of change of energy. So if the rate of change (slope) is constant in that region, what does that imply about the force at all points in the region? If you think about that question it should reveal that your problem lies in dividing by 25 cm. It's also a good idea to check your units if you run into these problems. Dividing the slope by a distance unit doesn't give you a Newton does it?

Supercool_ed said:
Hey! You're spot on that the slope is constant throughout the 20cm-40cm range which means the average rate of change in that region is equal to the instantaneous rate of change at all points in the region. You also correctly pointed out that the expression for force is the negative or the rate of change of energy. So if the rate of change (slope) is constant in that region, what does that imply about the force at all points in the region? If you think about that question it should reveal that your problem lies in dividing by 25 cm. It's also a good idea to check your units if you run into these problems. Dividing the slope by a distance unit doesn't give you a Newton does it?
Hello,
so i calculated the force applied at 25cm to be -2 N which is incorrect :( I'm just really confused as to what is wrong as i feel like i derived it correctly

sunnnystrong said:
Hello,
so i calculated the force applied at 25cm to be -2 N which is incorrect :( I'm just really confused as to what is wrong as i feel like i derived it correctly
Let's go back to the basic equation. So, F=-dU/dx. If the slope is constant then this can be written as F=-[U(40)-U(20)]/[40-20] (then multiply by 100 to convert from cm to m) You could use any points in the interval, but will get the same value because, as you pointed out, the slope is constant (the same over whole interval)

Likes sunnnystrong
Supercool_ed said:
Let's go back to the basic equation. So, F=-dU/dx. If the slope is constant then this can be written as F=-[U(40)-U(20)]/[40-20] (then multiply by 100 to convert from cm to m) You could use any points in the interval, but will get the same value because, as you pointed out, the slope is constant (the same over whole interval)

Ohh okay thank you hahah i get it now. The force will be constant everywhere that makes more sense now

Related to Potential Energy vs. Position Graphs

What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or configuration. It is stored energy that has the potential to do work.

What is a position graph?

A position graph is a graphical representation of an object's position over time. It shows how the position of the object changes with respect to a reference point.

How are potential energy and position related?

Potential energy and position are related because potential energy is dependent on the position of an object. As an object's position changes, its potential energy also changes.

What does a potential energy vs. position graph show?

A potential energy vs. position graph shows the relationship between an object's potential energy and its position. It can be used to determine the potential energy of an object at a specific position.

What factors affect the shape of a potential energy vs. position graph?

The shape of a potential energy vs. position graph is affected by the mass of the object, the distance between the object and the reference point, and the type of force acting on the object. Changes in any of these factors can alter the shape of the graph.