Post-grad feeling the tiniest bit lost

• Thread starter imranq
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bit Lost
In summary, if you want to pursue a career in academia or industry, you should take the GRE and apply to programs. If you want to pursue a career in neuroscience, you should take the GRE and apply to programs that accept it. Additionally, you should focus your interests and try to build up a portfolio of code or other relevant experience.
imranq
I finished my bachelors a 2-3 years back in mathematics and working a pretty good job in New York in the tech industry, but I am having trouble deciding what to do next!

My options are either continue down this route and become a product manager, go more heavily into software engineering through a bootcamp, or grab an MBA.

I've always had interests in math/cs, applied physics, and neuroscience and would love to go to grad school to study these full-time with passionate students and teachers, but I have limited research experience (the result of being too focused on business in college), and wouldn't know how to get references.

So far I've been trying the following approaches:
1) Self-study math, physics, cs as much as I can
2) email professors to do research in my spare time
3) do projects in my spare time to focus interest (building web apps, etc.)

Eventually I'll take the GRE (did well on the GMAT, but I don't think any MS/PhD program takes that) and start applying next year. Am I taking the right approach? Would taking a job be better?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you tell us how you did in undergrad?

And what exactly do you want to go to grad school for? Math, CS, physics, and neuroscience and four very different fields.

I had a 3.6 gpa and 3.9 math gpa... Some leadership experiences / TA.

Post college won a 2 national tech competitions

I guess one of my problems is how to focus my interests

imranq said:
I finished my bachelors a 2-3 years back in mathematics and working a pretty good job in New York in the tech industry, but I am having trouble deciding what to do next!

My options are either continue down this route and become a product manager, go more heavily into software engineering through a bootcamp, or grab an MBA.

I've always had interests in math/cs, applied physics, and neuroscience and would love to go to grad school to study these full-time with passionate students and teachers, but I have limited research experience (the result of being too focused on business in college), and wouldn't know how to get references.

So far I've been trying the following approaches:
1) Self-study math, physics, cs as much as I can
2) email professors to do research in my spare time
3) do projects in my spare time to focus interest (building web apps, etc.)

Eventually I'll take the GRE (did well on the GMAT, but I don't think any MS/PhD program takes that) and start applying next year. Am I taking the right approach? Would taking a job be better?

imranq said:
I had a 3.6 gpa and 3.9 math gpa... Some leadership experiences / TA.

Post college won a 2 national tech competitions

I guess one of my problems is how to focus my interests
I'm not sure that I can tell you what you should be interested in. However, I might pose a few questions to help you think about what you want to do:
  • Are you unhappy with your current job? Or are you looking for career advancement? If the latter, then that is probably an easier question to answer.
  • If you decide to leave your current job, where do you want to go? Your two basic choices are industry and academia, and then the choices go into more detail from there. There are also choices about location. Do you like where you live? Do you want to be somewhere else?
  • Once you know more about the first two bullets, then you can probably narrow down what you looking into. If you have a serious mismatch between field [say Neuroscience] and location [say Omaha, NE], [I made that up, don't yell at me if there is a great neuroscience program in Omaha] then you know you need to pick something different.
  • Once you have a more specific plan, then you could do things to help you achieve that goal: take the GRE, build up a portfolio of code, get an appropriate certification, or whatever the case may be.

Likes imranq

Related to Post-grad feeling the tiniest bit lost

1. What is post-grad feeling the tiniest bit lost?

Post-grad feeling the tiniest bit lost refers to the feeling of uncertainty and confusion that many recent graduates experience after completing their education. It is a common phenomenon that can occur due to various reasons such as not being able to find a job, feeling unprepared for the real world, or struggling to adjust to the new phase of life.

2. Why do so many post-grads feel lost?

There are several reasons why post-grads may feel lost. Some may have high expectations for themselves and feel disappointed if they do not meet them. Others may not have a clear career path or direction after graduation. The transition from a structured academic environment to the real world can also be overwhelming and contribute to feelings of being lost.

3. Is feeling lost after graduation normal?

Yes, feeling lost after graduation is a common experience for many people. It is a significant life transition that can be challenging to navigate, and it is natural to feel uncertain and lost during this time. It is essential to remember that this feeling is temporary and will pass as you gain more experience and find your way.

4. How can I overcome the feeling of being lost after graduation?

There is no one-size-fits-all solution for overcoming the feeling of being lost after graduation. However, some strategies can help, such as setting realistic expectations, seeking support from friends and family, networking, and exploring different career options. It is also crucial to take care of your mental and physical health during this time.

5. When should I seek professional help for post-grad feeling lost?

If the feeling of being lost after graduation persists for an extended period and starts to impact your daily life and well-being, it may be beneficial to seek professional help. A therapist or career counselor can provide support and guidance in navigating this transition and help you develop coping strategies to overcome this feeling.