Possible Number of Vertices for Graphs with Three Edge Connections

In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of graphs with three edges connecting each vertex to three distinct vertices. The necessary condition for this is that 3v/2 \equiv 0 (mod 3) where v is the number of vertices. Examples of graphs with 4, 8, and 12 vertices are shown, with the tetrahedron, cube, and dodecahedron satisfying the criteria. It is possible to continue expanding vertices to create more examples, but it is also noted that there are other ways to generate such graphs that are not equivalent to the examples given.
metapuff
I want to create graphs where each vertex has three edges, and is connected by these three edges to three distinct vertices.

I'd like to know the number of vertices for which this is possible. By playing around a bit, I've found that it's possible for graphs with 4, 8, and 12 vertices. If v is the number of vertices, it's easy to see that a necessary (but not sufficient) condition is that [tex]3v/2 \equiv 0 (mod 3) [/tex].

The attached image shows exactly what I'm looking for. The graphs for the tetrahedron, cube, and dodecahedron all satisfy my criteria, while the others do not.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Gp17.JPG
    Gp17.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 452
Physics news on Phys.org
Take any example and notice that any vertex can be expanded into a triangle where each vertex of the new triangle connects to one of the edges that came into the expanded point. Start with the simplest case (the tetrahedran) and expand the center vertex. That gives a new example with 6 vertices, 9 edges and 5 faces (counting the exterior as a face). You can continue expanding one vertex at a time, each time getting another example with 3 more edges, 2 more vertices, and one more face. I think you can continue this forever to exhaust all possibilities.

Yeah, that's totally correct. It's pretty easy to see that any even number of vertices will work, while any odd number will not. For the case of an even number of vertices, the attached image shows a pattern that works every time. (duh!)

Attachments

• Photo on 10-31-14 at 5.50 PM.jpg
    Photo on 10-31-14 at 5.50 PM.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 436
Ha! That's a good way of generating them.

There is another point to make that might already be obvious. There are a lot of other ways to generate graphs with those properties that are not equivalent to these graphs.

Related to Possible Number of Vertices for Graphs with Three Edge Connections

1. What is graph theory?

Graph theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of graphs, which are mathematical structures used to model pairwise relations between objects. It has applications in computer science, engineering, social sciences, and many other fields.

2. What are the basic components of a graph?

The basic components of a graph are vertices (also known as nodes) and edges. Vertices are the points or objects in a graph, while edges are the connections or relationships between these points.

3. How is a graph represented?

A graph can be represented visually through diagrams or mathematically through graphs and matrices. In diagrams, vertices are represented by dots or circles, while edges are represented by lines connecting the vertices. In mathematical representations, a graph is represented by a set of vertices and a set of edges.

4. What are the different types of graphs?

Some common types of graphs include undirected graphs, directed graphs, weighted graphs, and complete graphs. Undirected graphs have edges that do not have a specific direction, while directed graphs have edges with a specific direction. Weighted graphs have edges with assigned values or weights, and complete graphs have all possible edges between vertices.

5. What are some real-world applications of graph theory?

Graph theory has many practical applications, including in computer networks, social networks, transportation networks, and circuit design. It is also used in data analysis and visualization, scheduling and optimization problems, and even in the study of brain networks.