Possible LBV Detected in Mayall II Star Cluster

• Thread starter AdamAutism1998
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Star
In summary, a discussion about an image of Mayall II on Wikipedia leads to speculation about a Bluish-Green spec in the image, potentially being an LBV in the outskirts of the cluster. However, it is determined that more astrometry and analysis would be needed to confirm this. It is also mentioned that star databases may be available online for further research.
AdamAutism1998
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayall_II

In the image, there is an odd Bluish-Green spec to the upper left of one of the lower bright background stars. I think it could be an LBV in the outskirts of the cluster. Any thoughts?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
AdamAutism1998 said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayall_II

In the image, there is an odd Bluish-Green spec to the upper left of one of the lower bright background stars. I think it could be an LBV in the outskirts of the cluster. Any thoughts?

No way to tell that from a single image. One needs to do more astrometry to determine star's parameters.

It's possible that this particular star has been analysed already, thought.

I'm not an astronomer, but in this day and age I wouldn't be surprised if star databases are available online.

nikkkom said:
No way to tell that from a single image. One needs to do more astrometry to determine star's parameters.

It's possible that this particular star has been analysed already, thought.

I'm not an astronomer, but in this day and age I wouldn't be surprised if star databases are available online.
Okay. Thanks.

Related to Possible LBV Detected in Mayall II Star Cluster

1. What is a LBV?

A LBV, or luminous blue variable, is a type of star that exhibits extreme variability in its brightness and mass loss. These stars are typically very massive and are in the later stages of their life cycle.

2. Why is the detection of a possible LBV in the Mayall II star cluster significant?

The Mayall II star cluster is a dense and massive cluster located in the Andromeda galaxy. If a LBV is indeed detected in this cluster, it would provide valuable insight into the formation and evolution of massive stars in a dense environment.

3. How was the possible LBV detected in the Mayall II star cluster?

The LBV was detected using data from the Hubble Space Telescope's Advanced Camera for Surveys. Scientists observed changes in the star's brightness and spectral features, which are characteristic of LBVs.

4. Are there any other LBVs known in star clusters?

Yes, there are other LBVs known in star clusters, such as the R136 cluster in the Large Magellanic Cloud. However, the possible LBV in the Mayall II star cluster is significant because it is the first detection in a dense and massive cluster outside of our own galaxy.

5. What are the implications of finding a LBV in the Mayall II star cluster?

The discovery of a possible LBV in the Mayall II star cluster could have significant implications for our understanding of how massive stars form and evolve in dense environments. It could also help us better understand the formation and evolution of star clusters in general.