Could the Star Wars galaxy possibly be a void galaxy?

In summary, according to the article, the Star Wars galaxy could be a void galaxy due to its lack of communication with other galaxies. However, this is only speculation since there is no evidence to back it up.
Maximum7
A void galaxy is a galaxy that exists in a cosmological void like the Bootes void. Most galaxies are clustered into filaments. Here is a link to the Wikipedia page for a void galaxy

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Void_galaxy

Anyway, in Star Wars Legends, the Star Wars galaxy has 7 companion galaxies and in new canon, at least 1 companion galaxy. The Wikipedia page isn’t detailed on whether void galaxies can have companions but it says that there are galaxy groups in the void. I was thinking the Star Wars galaxy could be a void galaxy because it doesn’t have any contact with other galaxies. Is this feasible or is the Star Wars galaxy likely located in a supercluster.

Physics news on Phys.org
It would not be normal to have "contact" with other galaxies. Not unless you follow your "Hello" with a lot of patience.

.Scott said:
It would not be normal to have "contact" with other galaxies. Not unless you follow your "Hello" with a lot of patience.

They have FTL communications on a magnitude of 4,750,000c. It would still take a bit of time to reach across the void. Communication lag depends on story writers but it seems that getting a message across the galaxy is somewhat challenging until 5 ABY.

Maximum7 said:
I was thinking the Star Wars galaxy could be a void galaxy because it doesn’t have any contact with other galaxies.
I am confused. The very creation of the thread seems premised on the above claim (otherwise, why speculate about voidness at all?)

So, where does this premise come from? Is it canon that "...the Star Wars galaxy doesn’t have any contact with other galaxies* ..."?

You know ... in 41 years I have never once doubted that this was a galaxy that the Millennium Falcon was headed for, and always thought "My, that's quite a side quest".

It isn't until I went to use it in this thread that it occurred to me this is more plausibly a proto-solar system.

1629150117574.png

My whole life is a lie.

Likes Hornbein
DaveC426913 said:
You know ... in 41 years I have never once doubted that this was a galaxy that the Millennium Falcon was headed for, and always thought "My, that's quite a side quest".

It isn't until I went to use it in this thread that it occurred to me this is more plausibly a proto-solar system.

View attachment 287639

My whole life is a lie.

In Legends it was the main galaxy. In canon; I have no clue. I am an aspiring writer and if I ever get a chance to write for Star Wars; I have many MANY ideas I’d like to implement

Do you have a response to my post #4?

DaveC426913 said:
Do you have a response to my post #4?
It is canon that the Star Wars galaxy doesn’t really have the capability to travel intergalactic and I am merely trying to speculate that if there astronomy is as good as ours if not better; do you think they know all there is to know about all the galaxies in the universe.

Maximum7 said:
It is canon that the Star Wars galaxy doesn’t really have the capability to travel intergalactic and I am merely trying to speculate that if there astronomy is as good as ours if not better; do you think they know all there is to know about all the galaxies in the universe based on telescopes and observations.

Maximum7 said:
They have FTL communications on a magnitude of 4,750,000c. It would still take a bit of time to reach across the void. Communication lag depends on story writers but it seems that getting a message across the galaxy is somewhat challenging until 5 ABY.
Well, there's your answer.
It's not just a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. It's also in a portion of the universe with different limitations. We may have the Higgs field, but we're missing that Force field (as in "may the Force be with you). I would guess that attempting to use that FTL communications technology into regions that are beyond the bounds of that Force field would be impossible.

Maximum7 said:
I was thinking the Star Wars galaxy could be a void galaxy because it doesn’t have any contact with other galaxies.
According to Legends, a species from outside of the main galaxy (and not from the companion galaxies) could cross the void and stage an invasion. And at the end they were proven to be inferior to the army of the Force-guided main galaxy.

So it's not really that they couldn't. They just didn't.

Rive said:
... at the end they were proven to be inferior to the army of the Force-guided main galaxy.
Hm. Sounds familiar.
1629206431975.png

Astrophysics in Star Wars is totally different than in reality.

The probability of successfully navigating an asteroid field is not approximately 3,720 to one.

• Informative
  • Haha
Likes BillTre and DaveC426913

Related to Could the Star Wars galaxy possibly be a void galaxy?

1. Could the Star Wars galaxy possibly be a void galaxy?

There is no definitive answer to this question as the Star Wars galaxy is a fictional universe created by George Lucas. However, based on current scientific understanding, it is highly unlikely that the Star Wars galaxy is a void galaxy.

2. What is a void galaxy?

A void galaxy, also known as a void or a cosmic void, is a vast region of space that contains very few or no galaxies. This is in contrast to the more common galaxy clusters and superclusters that are filled with numerous galaxies.

3. Are there any real void galaxies in our universe?

Yes, there are several known void galaxies in our universe, such as the Boötes void and the Eridanus void. These regions have been extensively studied by astronomers and are believed to be the result of the expansion of the universe.

4. What would it mean if the Star Wars galaxy was a void galaxy?

If the Star Wars galaxy was a void galaxy, it would mean that there would be very few or no other galaxies in its vicinity. This would have significant implications for the development of life and the formation of stars and planets within the galaxy.

5. Is it possible for a void galaxy to support life?

While it is not impossible for a void galaxy to support life, it is highly unlikely. Void galaxies lack the necessary resources and interactions with other galaxies that are thought to be important for the development of life. However, this is still an area of ongoing research and our understanding may change in the future.