Positioning one's self for Industry-funded PhD

In summary, someone with a BS in MechE and experience working in R&D is considering pursuing a PhD in MechE, but isn't sure if academia is the right fit for them. They spoke to some professors and friends with doctorates and found that most companies no longer fund PhDs in industry-related fields, and the only way to pursue a PhD in this manner is to find a company that is willing to fund the university to do a research project. The process in the USA may be different, but one expects the academic integrity to be the same.
dawin
TL;DR said:
Do you have any experience (direct or indirect) with industry/academia collaborations for pursuing a science PhD (MechE is the one I'm referencing specifically). How did you or someone position themselves to work that out?

I have a BS in MechE, and work in R&D. I've been plugging away at my MS in MechE, about halfway through, and have been considering that a PhD may really be more intellectually and personally what I want.

I've spoken to some old professors and friends with doctorates. I don't think I'm ready to commit fully to academia; I find working to be too fulfilling to give it up completely. Plus a mortgage doesn't help. Does anyone here have experience (direct or indirect) with getting a PhD through an employer/university collaboration?

I'm somewhat at a loss of how these things come up. I work at a small company, and don't think they'd be supportive. How does one position themselves into a situation conducive to the above? Does the employer come first? Advisor? Did you, or someone you know, go in with that goal known or did it come up after they started?

Right now I have a smattering of experiences, but mostly with composites (design and analysis). Through school, personal interest, and some work projects my real interests actually lies more in structural dynamics/controls. Not sure if that muddies the waters at all.

Physics news on Phys.org
Those kinds of industry-funded Ph.Ds are getting rarer and rarer. Most companies just aren't interested anymore. The only people I know who have done them worked either for National Labs or the Areospace/Defense industry.

From my experience in the UK and Europe, it doesn't work the way that you imply. The company funds the university to do a research project. The university decides whether that project is suitable for one or more PhDs (with the agreement of the company, since there may be intellectual property issues because the PhD thesis will finish up in the public domain).

The university then selects the PhD student completely independent from the company - i.e. the university has full control over the academic integrity of awarding the PhD.

Of course the PhD candidate may use the opportunity to network with the sponsoring company and eventually be offered a job there, but that isn't guaranteed.

The process in the USA be different of course, but one might expect the basic issue of academic integrity is the same - i.e. a company can't "buy" a PhD for one of its own employees.

AlephZero said:
From my experience in the UK and Europe, it doesn't work the way that you imply. The company funds the university to do a research project. The university decides whether that project is suitable for one or more PhDs (with the agreement of the company, since there may be intellectual property issues because the PhD thesis will finish up in the public domain).

The university then selects the PhD student completely independent from the company - i.e. the university has full control over the academic integrity of awarding the PhD.

Of course the PhD candidate may use the opportunity to network with the sponsoring company and eventually be offered a job there, but that isn't guaranteed.

The process in the USA be different of course, but one might expect the basic issue of academic integrity is the same - i.e. a company can't "buy" a PhD for one of its own employees.

The company typically doesn't "buy" a Ph.D. Historically it was common in the USA for a company to fund an employee's Ph.D. research (and pay them a salary). The student and the student's advisor chose the research, the company just paid the student and tuition.

This was a great deal indeed for the student but is getting less and less common these days.

carlgrace said:
Those kinds of industry-funded Ph.Ds are getting rarer and rarer. Most companies just aren't interested anymore. The only people I know who have done them worked either for National Labs or the Areospace/Defense industry.

Is this something that presented itself to them AFTER they worked for some time at the lab, available to anyone and they took it, started work there with that as a pretense?

And thanks to both of you for your responses!

Related to Positioning one's self for Industry-funded PhD

What is an Industry-funded PhD?

An Industry-funded PhD is a doctoral program where the research is sponsored and supported by a company or industry instead of a university. This means that the research project will be focused on solving real-world problems and the student will have the opportunity to work closely with industry professionals.

How can I position myself for an Industry-funded PhD?

In order to position yourself for an Industry-funded PhD, it is important to gain relevant work experience in the industry you are interested in. Additionally, networking and building relationships with professionals in your field can help you learn about potential opportunities and make connections that may lead to an Industry-funded PhD.

What are the benefits of pursuing an Industry-funded PhD?

An Industry-funded PhD can provide several benefits, such as gaining practical experience and skills that are highly valued in the job market, having access to state-of-the-art facilities and resources, and potentially receiving a higher salary or stipend compared to a traditional PhD program.

Can I still pursue an academic career after completing an Industry-funded PhD?

Yes, completing an Industry-funded PhD does not limit your options for pursuing an academic career. In fact, having industry experience and connections can make you a more competitive candidate for academic positions in your field.

Are there any potential drawbacks to pursuing an Industry-funded PhD?

Some potential drawbacks of an Industry-funded PhD may include having less control over the research project and timeline, as the company or industry may have specific goals and deadlines to meet. Additionally, the focus on practical applications may differ from the more theoretical approach in traditional PhD programs.