Position Operator Action on Wave Function: $\psi(x)$

In summary, the position operator ##\hat x## acts on the wave function ##\psi(x)## by multiplying it with the abstract state ##<x|\psi>##. This operator can only act on the wave function, not on the abstract state. Its motivation is to give the expectation value of the position of a particle in a certain state. It differs from the translation operator in that it is hermitian and it is a generator of galilean frame changes, which is equivalent to space translation in momentum space.
davidge
Would the action of the position operator on a wave function ##\psi(x)## look like this?

$$\psi(x) \ =\ <x|\psi>$$ $${\bf \hat x}<x|\psi>$$

Question 2: the position operator can act only on the wave function?

Physics news on Phys.org
A vector ##|\psi>## is an abstract state and the ##<x|\psi >## is a wave function. An operator like ##\mathbf{x}## acts on the state ##|\psi >##, and the wavefunction of the state that has been acted on by the operator is ##<x|\mathbf{x}|\psi >##.

Likes davidge
Thanks Hilbert2. So we have the freedom to move the operator ##\hat x## from ##\hat x <x|\psi>## to ##<x|\hat x|\psi>##?

If you're talking about the abstract ##\mathbf{x}## operator, it can only act on a vector ##|\psi >##, not on the wavefunction ##<x|\psi >##. But if you mean the position space representation of the operator ##\mathbf{x}##, then it is something that acts on the wavefunction, not an abstract state.

Likes davidge
Ah, ok.
What is the motivation for defining such a operator? In Quantum Mechanics one can define a time-evolution operator which gives you a state vector at a later time, one can define a rotation operator which gives you a rotated state vector, etc... What about the position operator?

The matrix element ##<\psi |\mathbf{x}|\psi >## gives the expectation value of the position of a particle that is in state ##|\psi >##. That's one motivation. The wavefunctions describing eigenstates of ##\mathbf{x}## are not proper functions like those of a momentum operator or hamiltonian operators, which makes them a bit difficult to handle.

Likes davidge
I see
In what does the position operator differs from the translation operator?

davidge said:
I see

Where and how are you learning QM? Your questions are seemingly random.

PeroK said:
Where and how are you learning QM?
Most from Sakurai's book and McIntyre (on introductory QM)
PeroK said:
Your questions are seemingly random.
It's just that one question leads me to another

davidge said:
Most from Sakurai's book and McIntyre (on introductory QM)

It's just that one question leads me to another

How much linear algebra do you know? Sakurai, in my opinion, assumes a good grasp of the relevant undergraduate maths - especially linear algebra.

davidge said:
I see

I have the "revised" edition of Sakurai. Page 42 has the relevant section on "Position Eigenkets and Position Measurements". Page 44 describes "Translation" and the Translation operator.

davidge said:
I see

There's not much in common, because the translation operator is not hermitian. The momentum operator is the generator of translation, and I guess that the position operator is a generator of a galilean frame change, which is a translation in momentum space.

PeroK said:
How much linear algebra do you know?
Well, I attended Linear Algebra classes last semester at university. So I would say I know the basics of it.
PeroK said:
I have the "revised" edition of Sakurai. Page 42 has the relevant section on "Position Eigenkets and Position Measurements". Page 44 describes "Translation" and the Translation operator.
I think this is not avaiable in older editions of the book.

hilbert2 said:
There's not much in common, because the translation operator is not hermitian. The momentum operator is the generator of translation, and I guess that the position operator is a generator of a galilean frame change, which is a translation in momentum space.
How could we see this? Can you give me an example where we can see that the position operator is the generator of a galilean frame change?

davidge said:
How could we see this? Can you give me an example where we can see that the position operator is the generator of a galilean frame change?

If you have a momentum eigenstate ##\psi (x)=e^{ipx/\hbar}## and multiply it with ##e^{i(\Delta p) x/\hbar}##, you get a state with a momentum that's increased by ##\Delta p##. Just like operation with ##e^{i(\Delta x) \mathbf{p}/\hbar}## where ##\mathbf{p}## is the position space momentum operator is equivalent to space translation by ##\Delta x##.

Likes davidge
hilbert2 said:
If you have a momentum eigenstate ##\psi (x)=e^{ipx/\hbar}## and multiply it with ##e^{i(\Delta p) x/\hbar}##, you get a state with a momentum that's increased by ##\Delta p##. Just like operation with ##e^{i(\Delta x) \mathbf{p}/\hbar}## where ##\mathbf{p}## is the position space momentum operator is equivalent to space translation by ##\Delta x##.
Thank you

Related to Position Operator Action on Wave Function: $\psi(x)$

What is the position operator, and how does it act on a wave function?

The position operator, denoted as $\hat{x}$, is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to represent the position of a particle. It acts on a wave function, $\psi(x)$, by multiplying it with the position variable, $x$, such that the resulting wave function is a function of position.

What is the significance of the position operator in quantum mechanics?

The position operator is significant in quantum mechanics because it allows us to describe the position of a particle with a mathematical operator, rather than a specific value. This is important because in quantum mechanics, particles do not have a definite position but rather exist in a state of superposition, where they have a range of possible positions. The position operator allows us to calculate the probability of finding a particle at a specific position.

How does the position operator affect the wave function?

The position operator affects the wave function by changing it from a function of momentum to a function of position. This means that the wave function no longer represents the probability amplitude for a particle to have a certain momentum, but rather the probability amplitude for it to be found at a certain position.

Can the position operator be used to measure the position of a particle?

No, the position operator cannot be used to directly measure the position of a particle. According to the principles of quantum mechanics, the act of measuring a particle's position affects its state, and the position operator does not give a definite position value. However, it can be used to calculate the probability of finding a particle at a certain position.

How does the position operator relate to the uncertainty principle?

The position operator is related to the uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely we know a particle's position, the less precisely we know its momentum, and vice versa. The position operator represents the uncertainty in a particle's position, and the momentum operator represents the uncertainty in its momentum. This relationship is mathematically described by the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, $\Delta x \Delta p \geq \frac{\hbar}{2}$.