Position of line vortex from Stream function

In summary, it is crucial to have a thorough understanding of the principles and assumptions behind the equations and to carefully consider all variables and parameters in order to accurately solve a problem.
600burger

Homework Statement

So, the problem is 4 line vortices in a 2-d square. All have the same strength. I am asked to find the motion of the vortices in the flow of the others. Meaning, each vortex moves in the flow of the other three. I know the correct solution should be just a circular pattern but i can't seem to make it work out.

Homework Equations

I'm 'given' the stream function of a line vortex and allowed to set 'a' (the distance of each side on the square) to anything.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I can plot the correct stream lines for all four vorticies at once.

Then, excluding the vortex whose motion I am looking for, i find dpsi/dy = u and dpsi/dx = v.

From there, I should be able to setup and solve dx/dy = u and dy/dt = v as ODE's, correct?

I'm using a working runga kutta solver in MATLAB but the results are incorrect (a line y=x).

Physics news on Phys.org

I would first verify that the stream function of a line vortex is indeed the correct formula to use in this situation. It is important to thoroughly understand the physical principles and assumptions behind the equations being used before attempting to solve a problem.

Next, I would check the boundary conditions and ensure that they are correctly incorporated into the equations. In this case, it seems that the boundary conditions include the distance of each side on the square, so it is important to make sure that this parameter is correctly included in the equations.

Additionally, I would double check the implementation of the equations in the MATLAB solver and make sure that all variables and parameters are correctly defined and used.

If the results still do not match the expected circular pattern, I would consider using a different solver or approach to solve the problem. It is also important to consider any potential simplifications or assumptions that can be made to make the problem more manageable and accurate.

Overall, as a scientist, it is important to approach problems with a critical and analytical mindset, constantly checking and verifying the equations and solutions being used.

Related to Position of line vortex from Stream function

1. What is the Stream Function?

The Stream Function is a mathematical function used in fluid dynamics to describe the flow of a fluid. It maps the fluid motion in a two-dimensional plane and can be used to calculate the velocity and other properties of the fluid.

2. How is the Position of a Line Vortex determined from the Stream Function?

The position of a line vortex can be determined from the Stream Function by finding the point where the Stream Function is zero. This point is known as the vortex core and represents the center of the vortex.

3. What is the significance of the Position of a Line Vortex in fluid dynamics?

The position of a line vortex is important in fluid dynamics as it affects the flow of the fluid around it. Vortices can create turbulence and alter the direction of fluid flow, which can have significant impacts on the behavior of the fluid and any objects within it.

4. Can the Position of a Line Vortex change over time?

Yes, the Position of a Line Vortex can change over time due to external factors such as fluid flow or internal factors such as changes in the fluid's properties. Vortices can also merge or split, causing their position to change.

5. How is the Position of a Line Vortex used in practical applications?

The Position of a Line Vortex is used in various practical applications such as aircraft design, weather forecasting, and oceanography. Understanding the behavior and position of vortices can help predict and control fluid flow, which is crucial in these fields.