Population Growth with Finite Resources:

In summary, the author is Unsure how to solve for a solution to a separable differential equation, which may be a logistic model, and is looking for advice.
Scalemail Ted

Homework Statement

l_8c317d0b6df9413ebe0566920f5f329f.jpg

Homework Equations

<see above>

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm a bit unsure how to set this up to solve for a solution. Any advice?

Its obviously a separable differential equation. But I'm unsure what it is I'm looking for. This looks different then some population examples in the book.

If I read the given equation correctly it states that the change in population (dp) in regards to time (dt) is equal to the constant rate of change (K) multiplied by the difference between the maximum population minus the population.

Then I see that my initial values are k = 0.01, Pmax = 1000, p(0) = 200, and t0 = 0.

But what do I do with this data? What am i solving for?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm re-reading through the chapter now and the closest thing the original given equation looks similar to is a logistic model. Is this correlation correct?

Logistic model as per the book:

The stated expression for a logistic model is:

dp/dt = -Ap(p - p1), p(0) = p0

where A = k3/2 and p1 = (2k1/k3) + 1

If the original problem is a logistic model then my problem is the examples in the book give secondary and tertiary values of t and p(t). But the original problem does not.

I do not know what "secondary and tertiary values" your last paragraph means but what to do? Solve the differential equation!

It is probably done in your book but see if you can do it. Simple application of partial fractions. (We have had several examples on these in recent days. People study and do exercises in them in algebra, they are quite easy. Then when they meet simple examples of them in differential equations they have no idea again. :confused:).

Then see qualitatively what it looks like. Would it surprise you if at the end (t = infinity) the population was the maximum population? Would it surprise you if it wasn't? Does the graph of P against t or log t :wink: have a symmetry? Does the original equation say anything about that?

Last edited:

Related to Population Growth with Finite Resources:

1. What is population growth with finite resources?

Population growth with finite resources refers to the increase in the number of individuals in a given population over time, while the amount of resources available to support that population remains limited.

2. How does population growth affect finite resources?

As the population grows, the demand for resources such as food, water, and energy also increases. This can lead to scarcity and depletion of these resources, making it difficult for the population to sustain itself in the long term.

3. Can population growth be sustained with finite resources?

No, population growth cannot be sustained indefinitely with finite resources. Eventually, the resources will become limited and unable to support the growing population, leading to a decline in population or a decrease in the quality of life for individuals within the population.

4. What are the consequences of population growth with finite resources?

The consequences of population growth with finite resources can include environmental degradation, food and water shortages, and conflicts over resources. It can also lead to economic challenges and social issues, such as poverty and inequality.

5. How can we address population growth with finite resources?

There are several ways to address population growth with finite resources, including promoting sustainable resource use, implementing family planning programs, and investing in renewable energy sources. It is also important to educate individuals about the impact of their consumption patterns on the environment and encourage responsible decision-making.