Population growth carrying capacity on a logistic model

In summary, the given equation represents a population growth model with a carrying capacity. The middle term, which is a quadratic term, affects the growth rate and can cause the population to approach a stable point instead of continuously increasing. Finding the value of P where the growth rate is 0 can help determine the carrying capacity.
jdivine

Homework Statement

Here is the equation I am given. I'm supposed to find the carrying capacity.

dp/dt=.05P-6.6666667e-5P^2

I know the general solution is rp-rp^2/k with k=carrying capacity, but the addition of the middle term has thrown me off.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried ignoring the middle term and did r/p=5. Since r=.05, p would be .01 in this case, but that doesn't show up as the correct answer. What does the middle term change?

Physics news on Phys.org
can you explain which is the middle term you're talking about?

guessing what you're asking, first consider the simple first order exponential DE
[tex]
\frac{dP}{dt}=0.05P
[/tex]

for any positive starting value P_0, [itex] \frac{dP}{dt}=0.05P[/itex] will always be positive and [itex] P(t) [/itex] will increase exponentially

now consider
[tex]
\frac{dP}{dt}=0.05P - \frac{2}{3} 10^{-5} P^2
[/tex]

for small [itex] P [/itex], this will behave the same as the first equation as [itex] P<1 \implies P^2<<1 [/itex]

however as [itex] P [/itex] increases, the [itex]P^2[/itex] term will get larger decreasing the growth rate, until at some point [itex] \frac{dP}{dt} = 0 [/itex], the population will assymtotically approach this point -

so can you find where [itex] \frac{dP}{dt} = 0 [/itex]?

Related to Population growth carrying capacity on a logistic model

What is a logistic model?

A logistic model is a mathematical representation of population growth that takes into account the limiting factors of a population's environment. It is also known as the logistic growth curve or the S-curve.

What is carrying capacity?

Carrying capacity refers to the maximum number of individuals that a given environment can sustainably support. This is determined by factors such as available resources, competition, and environmental conditions.

How does a logistic model represent population growth?

A logistic model shows how a population grows exponentially until it reaches its carrying capacity, at which point growth levels off due to limiting factors. This creates an S-shaped curve, with a rapid increase in the beginning, followed by a plateau.

What are some factors that can affect carrying capacity?

Carrying capacity can be influenced by a variety of factors, including resource availability, competition for resources, disease, predation, and human intervention. Changes in these factors can cause the carrying capacity of an environment to increase or decrease.

How does the concept of carrying capacity relate to sustainability?

The concept of carrying capacity is closely related to sustainability because it refers to the maximum number of individuals that an environment can support without causing irreversible damage. By understanding and managing carrying capacity, we can help ensure the long-term survival of a population and its ecosystem.