Population Dynamics how to solve a particular ODE

In summary, the conversation discusses a population problem and how to find an expression for y(t). The integrating factor method, separation of variables, and Bernoulli's equation are not applicable in this case. The conversation also mentions a possible solution involving a y-integral, but it is difficult to invert to get y(t). However, separation of variables is actually a viable option.
jerro

Homework Statement

I have a population problem where:

[itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex] = ay - [itex]by^{2}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{c*y^{3}}{d+y^{3}}[/itex]

I need to find an expression for y(t). I'm not looking for the answer, just some advice/ helpful hints.

Thank you.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the integrating factor method is out of the question, as is separation of variables. Bernoulli's equation will also not work. All of these require forms that are different than what is written above.

Physics news on Phys.org
jerro said:

Homework Statement

I have a population problem where:

[itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex] = ay - [itex]by^{2}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{c*y^{3}}{d+y^{3}}[/itex]

I need to find an expression for y(t). I'm not looking for the answer, just some advice/ helpful hints.

Thank you.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the integrating factor method is out of the question, as is separation of variables. Bernoulli's equation will also not work. All of these require forms that are different than what is written above.

Getting t in terms of y is not too hard, but getting y in terms of t is horrible. If you write
[tex]F(y) \equiv \int\frac{dy}{f(y)} = \int dt,\\
f(y) = a y - b y^2 - \frac{c y^3}{d + y^3},
[/tex]
the y-integral is doable. Using 'r' instead of 'd' (because 'd' is a reserved symbol), Maple gets the y-integral as

F(y) = 1/2*a*x^2-1/3*b*x^3-c*x+1/3*c*r^(1/3)*ln(x+r^(1/3))
-1/6*c*r^(1/3)*ln(x^2-x*r^(1/3)+r^(2/3))
+1/3*c*r^(1/3)*3^(1/2)*arctan(1/3*3^(1/2)*(2/r^(1/3)*x-1))

where Maple writes u/v*w to mean (u/v)*w. So, F(y) = t+C is a "solution", but inverting F to get y(t) is probably only doable numerically.

Ah, I see. Separation of variables is completely doable! I don't know what I was thinking. Thank you so much.

Related to Population Dynamics how to solve a particular ODE

1. What is population dynamics?

Population dynamics is the study of how populations of organisms change over time. This includes the factors that influence population growth and decline, such as birth and death rates, migration, and environmental conditions.

2. What is an ODE?

An ODE, or ordinary differential equation, is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. In population dynamics, ODEs are often used to model changes in population size over time.

3. How do I solve an ODE in population dynamics?

To solve an ODE in population dynamics, you will need to use a combination of mathematical and computational techniques. This may include numerical methods, such as Euler's method or the Runge-Kutta method, or analytical methods, such as separation of variables or substitution.

4. What are the challenges of solving ODEs in population dynamics?

Solving ODEs in population dynamics can be challenging due to the complex and nonlinear nature of population dynamics. In addition, the availability of data and the accuracy of model parameters can also impact the accuracy of the solutions.

5. Can ODEs accurately predict population dynamics?

ODEs can provide valuable insights and predictions about population dynamics, but their accuracy depends on the quality of data and assumptions used in the model. It is important to continually refine and validate ODE models to improve their predictive power.