Polyphasic Sleep (Uberman) to boost GPA

In summary, the conversation discusses the "Uberman sleep schedule" and the speaker's experience trying it during their winter break. They have found that they have more waking hours and increased productivity, but also question the potential long-term effects and seek advice on implementing it during their academic studies. The conversation also touches on the speaker's academic goals and college plans.
Oriako
Hey guys,

Description of Sleep Schedule
I'm not sure if you have heard of the "Uberman sleep schedule" before but it consists of sleeping in 30 minute nap periods every 4 hours so that you can stay up consistently 24/7. I'm not sure if there are long-term detrimental effects but I am considering doing it in the fall for university. I've tried it over this winter break in between semester one and two during Grade 12. I've adjusted to the schedule and it was absolute hell for the first 5 days where I'm pretty sure I did not even fall completely asleep at all, but now it's been almost 2 weeks and when it's time for my nap every 4 hours I literally lie down and *lights off* and I wake up 30 minutes later and *lights on*, it's virtually impossible to oversleep. As a result I have 21 hours of waking day and I can particularly get a lot of work done between the 12am to 4am period and 4am to 8am period when the rest of the world is wasting their life being comatose. In all my free time I've started to write a book titled, "Historical and Philosophical Foundations for Mathematics" and I've got about 7000 words done so far and caught up to discovery the function by Leibniz and have had quite some insights from all my extra time to research and think, hopefully I'll turn it into a full book over the next few months/year.

Actual Question
As a result I was wondering if any of you have done this sleep schedule or a similar one in a learning/academic setting? What was your experience like? Would you recommend it? I'm going to try it during semester two and see how it goes. My hope is that I will be able to do it through my undergraduate and study the entire time and hopefully get a 4.0 GPA. My average in high school is currently 95% after having loads of time to playing video games and hang out with friends (only studying 4 hours a day outside of school)etc. so, if I have an extra 5 hours of waking time EVERY SINGLE DAY, I think I'll be able to accomplish anything in school to be honest.

Comments, Questions, or Advice?

I'll either be attending University of Alberta for an Honours Astrophysics, Minor Philosophy, University of Calgary Double Major Astrophysics, Philosophy, or University of Toronto Physics and Philosophy program.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This has strong medical consequences, and as we do not give medical advice here, I have closed this thread. You need to consult your doctor.

I think you do need to also think about your priorities - "loads of time to playing video games" is not the element of your high school life you most want to preserve in college.

Related to Polyphasic Sleep (Uberman) to boost GPA

What is polyphasic sleep?

Polyphasic sleep is a sleep schedule that involves sleeping for multiple short periods throughout the day, rather than the traditional one long period at night.

How does polyphasic sleep help boost GPA?

Polyphasic sleep can help boost GPA by allowing for more efficient use of time and increased focus and productivity during waking hours. By reducing the amount of time spent sleeping, individuals are able to dedicate more time to studying and completing tasks, resulting in improved academic performance.

Is polyphasic sleep safe?

While there is limited research on the long-term effects of polyphasic sleep, most experts agree that it is generally safe for healthy adults. However, it is important to consult with a healthcare professional before attempting any major changes to your sleep schedule.

What are the potential drawbacks of polyphasic sleep?

Some potential drawbacks of polyphasic sleep include difficulty adjusting to the new schedule, increased risk of sleep deprivation and associated health issues, and potential disruption of social and work schedules. Additionally, it may be difficult to maintain a consistent polyphasic sleep schedule over an extended period of time.

What are some tips for successfully implementing a polyphasic sleep schedule?

To successfully implement a polyphasic sleep schedule, it is important to gradually transition to the new schedule, maintain consistent sleeping and waking times, and create a comfortable and conducive sleep environment. It is also important to prioritize rest and relaxation during waking hours to avoid burnout and maintain overall health and well-being.