Polynomial Rings _ Bland - Theorem 6.3.17

In summary, the conversation revolves around abstract algebra, specifically on Chapter 6: Polynomial Rings. The main topic of discussion is Theorem 6.3.17, which requires an understanding of the notation in Definition 6.3.15. The conversation also includes an example of applying the theorem and a discussion on the usefulness of abstract algebra. The conversation ends with a compliment to the person providing help and an explanation of how abstract algebra works.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Paul E. Bland's book, "The Basics of Abstract Algebra".

I am currently focused on Chapter 6: Polynomial Rings.

I need help with an aspect of Theorem 6.3.17.

Theorem 6.3.17 requires awareness of the notation of Definition 6.3.15 which reads as follows:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/4690Theorem 6.3.17 reads as follows:https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/4691In the above Theorem we read the following:" ... ... and it is not difficult to show that

\(\displaystyle [f]_p (x) = [g]_p (x) [h]_p (x)\) ... ... "Although it seems plausible that \(\displaystyle [f]_p (x) = [g]_p (x) [h]_p (x)\), I am unable to rigorously demonstrate that this is the case.

Can someone help me to prove that \(\displaystyle [f]_p (x) = [g]_p (x) [h]_p (x)\)?

Hope someone can help ... ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow. What kind of math IS this? I'm only barely in pre-calc.

Note that $a \mapsto [a]_p$ is a ring-homomorphism $\Bbb Z \to \Bbb Z/p\Bbb Z$.

Given $g(x) = \sum\limits_{i = 0}^m a_ix^i \in \Bbb Z[x]$, and $h(x) = \sum\limits_{i = 0}^n b_ix^i \in \Bbb Z[x]$

we have:

$f(x) = g(x)h(x) = \sum\limits_{k = 0}^{m+n}\left(\sum\limits_{i+j = k} a_ib_jx^{i+j}\right)$

thus:

$[g]_p(x)[h]_p(x) = \sum\limits_{k = 0}^{m+n}\left(\sum\limits_{i+j = k} [a_i]_p[b_j]_px^{i+j}\right)$

$= \sum\limits_{k = 0}^{m+n}\left(\sum\limits_{i+j = k} [a_ib_j]_px^{i+j}\right)$

$= \sum\limits_{k = 0}^{m+n}\left(\left[\sum\limits_{i+j=k} a_ib_j\right]_px^k\right) = [f]_p(x)$

For example, we have in $\Bbb Z[x]$:

$x^3 - 12x^2 + 26x + 45 = (x - 5)(x^2 - 7x - 9)$.

Reducing the cubic mod $3$, we obtain:

$x^3 + 2x$, and reducing the factors mod $3$, we have $x + 1$ and $x^2 + 2x$, and:

$(x + 1)(x^2 + 2x) = x^3 + 2x^2 + x^2 + 2x = x^3 + 2x$.

In other words, polynomials "mod $p$" and polynomials over the integers share many of the same algebraic rules.

Wow.

Taryn said:

Surely you have heard of polynomials, even in pre-calc, yes?

One of the main goals of working with polynomials is to try to "factor" them. This is sort of like factoring positive integers into primes. Ideally, one tries to totally "split" the polynomial into linear (degree 1) factors, because that tells you the roots.

For example, take $x^2 - 5x + 6 = (x - 2)(x - 3)$.

The factorization on the right tells us if:

$x^2 - 5x + 6 = 0$, then either $x - 2 = 0 \iff x = 2$ or $x - 3 = 0 \iff x = 3$.

However, sometimes you can't do this, for example, any attempt to try to factor (in the integers):

$x^2 + x + 1$ will fail (it turns out the roots aren't even real numbers, much less integers).

Such an "unfactorable" polynomial is the polynomial equivalent (for INTEGER polynomials) of a prime number, and is called "irreducible" (over the integers-if we allow more "complicated kinds of numbers", it might be factorable over those things).

In the middle ages, "solving" (factoring) polynomials was all the rage, and mathematicians actually held sorts of "mathematical duels" in the form of "I bet you can't factor THIS!". In the mid 19th century, a bright young upstart with the wrong politics, and a habit of getting himself into trouble with the authorities, Evariste Galois, studied how "shuffling the roots" of a polynomial affected the "number structure" the roots lived in. This was one of the beginnings of what we now called "group theory", and which now forms part of the "study of algebraic structures" known as "abstract algebra".

Galois' work laid the groundwork for what is known as the Abel-Ruffini Theorem: factoring polynomials of degree 5 and higher, is by and large, a lost cause (we can factor SOME, but there is no analogue of the "quadratic formula" for polynomials of degree 5 and up. The formula for a degree 4 polynomial is ugly, and chock-full of square and cube roots).

Taryn said:
Hi Taryn, it is Abstract Algebra, a truly beautiful subject ... very rigorous and pure ...

My question is very definitely undergraduate ... not postgraduate ... I have to say ...

Peter

- - - Updated - - -

Deveno said:
Note that $a \mapsto [a]_p$ is a ring-homomorphism $\Bbb Z \to \Bbb Z/p\Bbb Z$.

Given $g(x) = \sum\limits_{i = 0}^m a_ix^i \in \Bbb Z[x]$, and $h(x) = \sum\limits_{i = 0}^n b_ix^i \in \Bbb Z[x]$

we have:

$f(x) = g(x)h(x) = \sum\limits_{k = 0}^{m+n}\left(\sum\limits_{i+j = k} a_ib_jx^{i+j}\right)$

thus:

$[g]_p(x)[h]_p(x) = \sum\limits_{k = 0}^{m+n}\left(\sum\limits_{i+j = k} [a_i]_p[b_j]_px^{i+j}\right)$

$= \sum\limits_{k = 0}^{m+n}\left(\sum\limits_{i+j = k} [a_ib_j]_px^{i+j}\right)$

$= \sum\limits_{k = 0}^{m+n}\left(\left[\sum\limits_{i+j=k} a_ib_j\right]_px^k\right) = [f]_p(x)$

For example, we have in $\Bbb Z[x]$:

$x^3 - 12x^2 + 26x + 45 = (x - 5)(x^2 - 7x - 9)$.

Reducing the cubic mod $3$, we obtain:

$x^3 + 2x$, and reducing the factors mod $3$, we have $x + 1$ and $x^2 + 2x$, and:

$(x + 1)(x^2 + 2x) = x^3 + 2x^2 + x^2 + 2x = x^3 + 2x$.

In other words, polynomials "mod $p$" and polynomials over the integers share many of the same algebraic rules.

Thanks for the help Deveno ...

Just reflecting on what you have written ...

Your support is invaluable ...

Thanks again,

Peter[PS you definitely should be a university teacher ... ]

Last edited:
Thanks Devono! And yeah, I use polynomials. Just not on that level!

Taryn said:
Thanks Devono! And yeah, I use polynomials. Just not on that level!

Well, it's not so different from solving "regular algebra".

For example, to solve:

$2x + 5 = 13$, one does the following:$2x + 5 + (-5) = 13 + (-5)$
$2x + (5 + (-5)) = 13 + (-5)$
$2x + 0 = 13 - 5$
$2x = 8$
$\frac{1}{2}(2x) = \frac{1}{2}(8)$
$(\frac{1}{2}(2))x = 4$
$1x = 4$
$x = 4$.

A more "polynomial approach" would be:

$2x +5 = 13 \implies 2x - 8 = 0$.

$2x - 8 = 2(x - 4) = 0 \implies 2 = 0$ or $x - 4 = 0$.

Since $2 \neq 0$, it must be that $x - 4 = 0 \implies x = 4$.

In "abstract" algebra, one forgets about the "numbers" part (the $2,5$ and $13$ in my example), and just focuses on the "rules" part. It turns out there's a lot you can say just from "knowing the rules" even when you don't know what "things" you have.

Cool, thanks. It makes a little more sense now. (Whew)

Related to Polynomial Rings _ Bland - Theorem 6.3.17

What is the definition of a polynomial ring?

A polynomial ring is a mathematical structure that consists of polynomials with coefficients from a given ring. It is denoted by R[x], where R is the ring and x is an indeterminate variable.

What is the significance of Bland's Theorem 6.3.17?

Bland's Theorem 6.3.17 states that every ideal in a polynomial ring R[x] is generated by a finite number of polynomials. This is significant because it provides a method for finding generators of an ideal and simplifies the study of polynomial rings.

How is Bland's Theorem 6.3.17 used in algebraic geometry?

In algebraic geometry, Bland's Theorem 6.3.17 is used to prove the Hilbert's basis theorem, which states that every ideal in a polynomial ring over a Noetherian ring is finitely generated. This is a fundamental result in algebraic geometry that allows for the study of algebraic varieties.

Can Bland's Theorem 6.3.17 be generalized to other rings?

Yes, Bland's Theorem 6.3.17 can be generalized to other rings, such as polynomial rings over fields or polynomial rings in several variables. However, the proof and formulation may differ depending on the specific ring being considered.

What are some applications of Bland's Theorem 6.3.17 in mathematics?

Bland's Theorem 6.3.17 has various applications in mathematics, including in commutative algebra, algebraic geometry, and ring theory. It is also used in the study of ideals, factorization, and the structure of rings. Additionally, it has applications in computer science and coding theory.