Second Isomorphism Theorem for Rings .... Bland Theorem 3.3.1

In summary: It is true by definition.##I_1/I_2## is defined to be the following collection of cosets of ##I_2##$$I_1/I_2 \triangleq \{x+I_2\ :\ x\in I_1\}$$Hi Andrew ...Hmmm ... yes ... of course ... you're right ...Thanks again for your help ...
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading "The Basics of Abstract Algebra" by Paul E. Bland ... ...

I am currently focused on Chapter 3: Sets with Two Binary Operations: Rings ... ...

I need help with Bland's proof of the Second Isomorphism Theorem for rings ...

Bland's Second Isomorphism Theorem for rings and its proof read as follows:
Bland - 1 - Theorem 3.3.15 ... PART 1 ... .png

Bland - 2 - Theorem 3.3.15 ... PART 2 ... .png

In the above proof by Bland we read the following:

" ... ... This map is easily shown to be a well defined ring homomorphism with kernel ##I_1/I_2##. ... ... "I can see that ##f## is a ring homomorphism ... but how do we prove that the kernel is ##I_1/I_2## ... ... ?Hope someone can help ...

Peter

Attachments

• Bland - 1 - Theorem 3.3.15 ... PART 1 ... .png
    Bland - 1 - Theorem 3.3.15 ... PART 1 ... .png
    10.1 KB · Views: 788
  • Bland - 2 - Theorem 3.3.15 ... PART 2 ... .png
    Bland - 2 - Theorem 3.3.15 ... PART 2 ... .png
    18.3 KB · Views: 670
Physics news on Phys.org
Math Amateur said:
I can see that ##f## is a ring homomorphism ... but how do we prove that the kernel is ##I_1/I_2## ... ... ?
First prove ##I_1/I_2## is in the kernel. Take an arbitrary ##x+I_2\in I_1/I_2##. That means that ##x\in I_1##. Then

##f(x+I_2)\triangleq x+I_1=I_1## (since ##x\in I_1)\ =0_{R/I_1}##.

So ##x+I_2## is in the kernel.

Now prove that the kernel is in ##I_1/I_2##. Take an arbitrary element ##x+I_2## of the kernel. Then we have ##f(x+I_2)\triangleq x+I_1=0_{R/I_1}=I_1##. Hence ##x\in I_1##. Hence ##x+I_1\in I_1/I_2##.

Likes Math Amateur
andrewkirk said:
First prove ##I_1/I_2## is in the kernel. Take an arbitrary ##x+I_2\in I_1/I_2##. That means that ##x\in I_1##. Then

##f(x+I_2)\triangleq x+I_1=I_1## (since ##x\in I_1)\ =0_{R/I_1}##.

So ##x+I_2## is in the kernel.

Now prove that the kernel is in ##I_1/I_2##. Take an arbitrary element ##x+I_2## of the kernel. Then we have ##f(x+I_2)\triangleq x+I_1=0_{R/I_1}=I_1##. Hence ##x\in I_1##. Hence ##x+I_1\in I_1/I_2##.
Thanks for the help, Andrew ...

But ... just a minor point of clarification ...

You write ... " ... ... Take an arbitrary ##x+I_2\in I_1/I_2##. That means that ##x\in I_1## ... ... "

Can you explain why ##x+I_2\in I_1/I_2## implies that ##x\in I_1## ... ... ?

Peter

Math Amateur said:
You write ... " ... ... Take an arbitrary ##x+I_2\in I_1/I_2##. That means that ##x\in I_1## ... ... "

Can you explain why ##x+I_2\in I_1/I_2## implies that ##x\in I_1## ... ... ?

Peter
It is true by definition.

##I_1/I_2## is defined to be the following collection of cosets of ##I_2##
$$I_1/I_2 \triangleq \{x+I_2\ :\ x\in I_1\}$$

Likes Math Amateur
Hi Andrew ...

Hmmm ... yes ... of course ... you're right ...

Thanks again for your help ...

Peter

Related to Second Isomorphism Theorem for Rings .... Bland Theorem 3.3.1

What is the Second Isomorphism Theorem for Rings?

The Second Isomorphism Theorem for Rings, also known as Bland Theorem 3.3.1, states that if R is a ring, I and J are two ideals of R, and I is contained in J, then the quotient ring (J/I) is isomorphic to the quotient of the factor ring R/J and the factor ring I/J.

How is the Second Isomorphism Theorem for Rings used in mathematics?

The Second Isomorphism Theorem for Rings is used in abstract algebra to study the structure of rings. It is particularly useful in understanding the relationships between ideals and factor rings of a given ring.

What is the significance of Bland Theorem 3.3.1 in the Second Isomorphism Theorem for Rings?

Bland Theorem 3.3.1 is a specific version of the Second Isomorphism Theorem for Rings that applies to ideals in a ring. It is named after its creator, mathematician Richard P. Bland.

Can the Second Isomorphism Theorem for Rings be applied to any type of ring?

Yes, the Second Isomorphism Theorem for Rings is a general theorem that applies to any type of ring, including commutative rings, noncommutative rings, and finite rings.

Are there any real-world applications of the Second Isomorphism Theorem for Rings?

The Second Isomorphism Theorem for Rings has applications in various fields of mathematics, including group theory, algebraic geometry, and coding theory. It also has practical applications in computer science, particularly in developing efficient algorithms for data storage and retrieval.