Polynomial Factorization for Integers: Finding Real and Complex Roots

• Thread starter Mentallic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomial
In summary, the conversation discusses factoring a polynomial with all integer roots on the real and imaginary plane into real linear and quadratic factors. After finding the real factor, the polynomial is reduced to a quartic with all complex roots. The process of finding these complex roots involves expanding complex linear factors into real quadratic factors and equating coefficients. It is also acceptable to use Maple for this problem.
Mentallic
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

In the polynomial [tex]x^5+22x^3-34x^2+117x-306[/tex] given that the roots on the real and imaginary plane are all integers, factorize the polynomial into real linear and quadratic factors.

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to find the real factor, which is x=2 and then I reduced the polynomial to this:

[tex](x-2)(x^4+2x^3+26x^2+18x+153)[/tex]

But this quartic has all complex roots, and I'm unsure how to find them given the information above. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org

Oh and I forgot to mention that since the polynomial has real coefficients, the complex roots will have complex conjugate roots also, so this can be expressed as follows:

[tex]x^4+2x^3+26x^2+18x+153 \equiv (x-(a+ib))(x-(a-ib))(x-(c+id))(x-(c-id))[/tex]

where, a,b,c,d all integers (from the information in the question).

Expanding these complex linear factors into real quadratic factors gives:

[tex](x^2-2a+a^2+b^2)(x^2-2c+c^2+d^2)[/tex]

I could try expand this and equate the coefficients with the original quartic, but this is quite a lot of effort considering the question should have been answered relatively quickly.

bump.

The last term in each of the quadratic factors have to be factors of 153, so either 3 and 51 or 9 and 17, but the last pair is the obvious choice. Then you could write out the quadratic factors as (x2 + ax + 9)(x2 + bx + 17)
Now you don't have to multiply out the whole thing but only part of it. Multiplying it out, you would get two terms with x3, three with x2, and two with x. Multiply the terms that give you the x3 and x terms and equate them with the coefficients in your quartic. You'll easily get a and b in the two quadratic factors above and you're done.

Oh I was just told today that it is acceptable to use Maple to solve this problem, considering no one else could answer it within the 4 minute allocated time limit.

Anyway, not just with guessing but from the quadratics I expressed, we also have:

[tex](a^2+b^2)(c^2+d^2)=153[/tex] where [tex]a,b,c,d E Z[/tex]

then looking at the possible factors -

1 and 153
3 and 51
9 and 17

It can be concluded that the only possible pair that can be expressed as above is 9 and 17, with [tex]a=0, b=\pm 3[/tex] (since it has to be an imaginary root) and [tex]c,d=\pm 4,\pm 1[/tex].

From there, using the other relationships, the results can be found.

Related to Polynomial Factorization for Integers: Finding Real and Complex Roots

1. What is a polynomial factor?

A polynomial factor is a mathematical expression that divides evenly into a given polynomial, leaving no remainder. It is represented by a variable or a combination of variables raised to different powers.

2. How do you factor a polynomial?

To factor a polynomial, you need to identify the common factors and use the distributive property to rewrite the polynomial as a product of these factors. Then, you can further factor each individual term until you reach a point where no further factoring is possible.

3. What is the difference between factoring and expanding a polynomial?

Factoring a polynomial involves breaking it down into simpler factors, while expanding a polynomial involves multiplying out the factors to get a more complex polynomial. Essentially, factoring is the reverse process of expanding.

4. Why is factoring important in mathematics?

Factoring is important in mathematics because it helps us solve equations and simplify expressions. It is also used in various areas of math, such as algebra, calculus, and number theory.

5. What are some common methods for factoring polynomials?

Some common methods for factoring polynomials include finding the greatest common factor, factoring by grouping, using the difference of squares formula, and using the quadratic formula for quadratic polynomials. There are also more advanced methods such as synthetic division and the rational roots theorem.