Poles in the Lippmann-Schwinger Equation

• Thread starter tshafer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Poles
In summary, while deriving the Helmholtz Green function in Sakurai, four poles are encountered at q \simeq \pm k \pm i\varepsilon'. These poles correspond to both incoming and outgoing waves, and the choice of how to move the poles depends on the specific boundary conditions. While Sakurai only explicitly mentions two poles, the other two are still considered in the overall calculation.
tshafer
While deriving the Helmholtz Green function in Sakurai we come across the integral
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}q\,dq\,\frac{e^{iq|\vec x-\vec x'|}-e^{-iq|\vec x-\vec x'|}}{q^2-k^2\mp i\varepsilon'}[/tex]

This equation has poles at [tex]q \simeq \pm k\pm i\varepsilon'[/tex], however when doing the residue calculation it seems that Sakurai only treats the poles [tex]k+i\varepsilon'[/tex] and [tex]k-i\varepsilon'[/tex], but not the companion poles poles [tex]-k-i\varepsilon'[/tex] and [tex]-k+i\varepsilon'[/tex].

Is there a physical reason for this I am missing or do I have a mathematical error? If included, it seems the other poles would give both the [tex]\psi^{(\pm)}[/tex] solutions over again?

Thanks!
Tom

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like he's considering all four poles actually. When you offset the poles, to [itex]k+i\varepsilon'[/itex] and [itex]-k-i\varepsilon'[/itex], where [itex]\varepsilon'>0[/itex], one pole is included in contour for the [itex]e^{iq|\vec{x}-\vec{x}'|}[/itex] integral, and the other pole is inside the contour for the [itex]e^{-iq|\vec{x}-\vec{x}'|}[/itex] integral. Both integrals contribute to the [itex]e^{+ik|\vec{x}-\vec{x}'|}[/itex] solution. The other two poles correspond to [itex]\varepsilon'<0[/itex] and yield the [itex]e^{-ik|\vec{x}-\vec{x}'|}[/itex] solution. One is an incoming wave; the other is an outgoing wave. The choice of how you move the poles depends on your boundary conditions. Arfken (3rd edition), if you have it, discusses the integration on page 919.

Related to Poles in the Lippmann-Schwinger Equation

1. What is the Lippmann-Schwinger equation?

The Lippmann-Schwinger equation is a mathematical equation used in quantum mechanics to calculate the scattering amplitude between two particles. It takes into account the initial and final states of the particles, as well as the potential between them.

2. What do "poles" refer to in the Lippmann-Schwinger equation?

Poles refer to the values of the momentum that make the denominator of the Lippmann-Schwinger equation equal to zero. These values correspond to the energies of bound states, which are the stable states of a system.

3. How are poles related to the scattering behavior of particles?

The poles in the Lippmann-Schwinger equation correspond to the energies at which the scattering amplitude has a singularity. This singularity indicates the presence of a bound state or resonance, which can significantly affect the scattering behavior of particles.

4. Can poles in the Lippmann-Schwinger equation be used to predict the existence of new particles?

Yes, poles in the Lippmann-Schwinger equation can provide insight into the existence of new particles. For example, if a pole is found at a certain energy that is not accounted for by known particles, it can indicate the existence of a new, undiscovered particle.

5. How do researchers use poles in the Lippmann-Schwinger equation in their studies?

Researchers use poles in the Lippmann-Schwinger equation to study the properties of particles and their interactions. By analyzing the poles, they can gain a better understanding of the underlying physics and potentially make predictions about new particles or phenomena.