Polarized Glasses plus Windshield Tint = Rainbows

• Thread starter jlcd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rainbows
In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of polarized glasses and tint on the appearance of colors while driving. The speaker mentions experiencing a rainbow-like effect when wearing Maui Jim sunglasses while driving, but no rainbows when looking through the windshield and window tint. They also question the mechanism behind this color phenomenon and provide links to resources explaining the concept of polarization and its impact on color perception. Additionally, they mention a common optical store demonstration where polarized glasses enhance the visibility of colors in a picture, and question how this is possible. The conversation concludes by referencing further resources that explain this effect in more detail."
jlcd
I bought a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses. When I tried it on daytime driving.. the roads have rainbow like effect. When I opened the windows (looking at the same road), there are no rainbows. So the windshield and window dark tint (3M) can somehow produce the rainbows when seen thru a polarized glasses..

I know the concept of polarizer. The sunglasses were supposed to make one avoid seeing the horizontal polarization. What is in the tint that can make the entire road pinkisk, bluish and changing colors as you drive?

Another thing unrelated (or maybe related). In optical stores.. they have this small drawing where you can only see the entire picture (in color) if you wear the polarized glasses. Without them, the picture has no color and even invisible. Well. If polarized glasses only avoid letting you see the horizontal photons, how can they produce that effect? Thank you.

Science news on Phys.org

1. What causes rainbows to appear when wearing polarized glasses and looking through a tinted windshield?

When light passes through a polarized lens, it becomes polarized and can only vibrate in one direction. The tinted windshield also polarizes the light, but in a different direction. When the two polarized lights overlap, they create a rainbow-like effect due to the interference of the two light waves.

2. Do polarized glasses and tinted windshields always create rainbows?

No, rainbows only appear when the angle of the polarized light and the tinted windshield are aligned in a specific way. This alignment is dependent on the angle of the sun, the angle of the windshield, and the angle of the polarized glasses. If these angles are not aligned, no rainbow will be seen.

3. Can I see rainbows while wearing polarized glasses and looking through a non-tinted windshield?

No, the tinted windshield is necessary for creating the rainbow effect. Without the tint, there will be no polarized light to interact with the polarized light from the glasses.

4. Why do I only see rainbows in certain areas of the windshield?

The rainbow effect is dependent on the angle of the polarized light and the angle of the tinted windshield. Therefore, it is possible to only see rainbows in certain areas of the windshield where these angles align. As you move your head or the angle of the sun changes, the rainbow effect may appear in different areas.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the appearance of rainbows with polarized glasses and a tinted windshield?

Yes, the quality and type of polarized glasses and tinted windshield can also play a role in the appearance of rainbows. Higher quality polarized lenses and darker tints may create more vibrant and noticeable rainbows. Additionally, the cleanliness and condition of the windshield can also affect the intensity of the rainbow effect.