How does light split into colors?

• Thread starter YeeHaa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light Split
  • Featured
In summary, a person came home to find discrete lines of colored light on their living room floor, and asked for an explanation of this phenomenon. Discussions suggested that the combination of glass and blinds was creating this effect, with the sunlight decomposing into spectrum colors. Further analysis using geometry and optical distortion showed that a transparent, wedge-shaped object outside the window was causing the light to converge and produce the colorful lines. The person also shared more details and pictures, but the cause of the discrete and intense lines remains a mystery. Some suggested removing the blinds to test for continuous spectra, while others admired the unique and cool effect.
davenn said:
yes, but when the light is going through the lens. in the OP's case the light is being refracted/reflected off the surface of a curved dome that is not a lens
Light doesn't go through the dome? Then it's not the dome which generates the colours and even mention it in the discussion would be misleading.

--
lightarrow

Science news on Phys.org
Great pics
I'm no expert on light but it looks like the effects of light passing through a diffraction grating. Maybe the material of the blinds itself are acting like the small spacing of diffraction grating, if so there would probably be 1st and 2nd orders of diffraction somewhere else in the room.
Just a thought but I'm probably wrong.:smile:

OmCheeto said:
I don't think the rays are from refraction.
It's certainly not something simple like a prism. I agree that the strength of the effect suggests an alternative of something like reflecting from a brightly coloured surface, or from a reflective surface with a "holographic" type finish which gives a rainbow effect. However, I've seen a striking display of rainbow colours from sunlight striking old glass objects in a shop window, where the colour wasn't just a simple spectrum but rather a series of coloured curves, presumably caused by a combination of refraction and reflection, and that might just about account for it. The sharpness of the lines certainly suggests a small distant source.

lightarrow said:
Light doesn't go through the dome? Then it's not the dome which generates the colours and even mention it in the discussion would be misleading.

--
lightarrow
unfortunately, it's become obvious that you are missing the point of the whole discussion :frown:

you need to go back to the beginning of the thread and catch up on the bits you have missed
particularly the post #8 by the OP. Then you will understand why the discussion of the dome was involved

To me those lines don't resemble anything that you would expect to see due to reflection, refraction or diffraction due to the combined optical arrangement of the systems outside and inside the house. They do look like projected lines, very similar to laser lines. Laser line marking seems to be a growing technology. There is one photo I find a little bit puzzling and that is picture one in post eight where there is a squiggly white line which seems to be obscuring the top of the table on the right side of the picture.

Dadface said:
There is one photo I find a little bit puzzling and that is picture one in post eight where there is a squiggly white line which seems to be obscuring the top of the table on the right side of the picture.
seriously ?

tis obvious he has probably erased some personal stuff on the table rather than having that info spread across the internet

Likes DaveC426913
davenn said:
seriously ?

tis obvious he has probably erased some personal stuff on the table rather than having that info spread across the internet

I suppose that is a possibility but note that something black is projecting from the edge of the table. Now try googling laser line markers. I think it's possible that YeeHaa is having a joke and obscured most of the table top as a clue.

Naah. Peeking out from the left edge of the table is what looks like the handle of a skillet complete with the nicely shaped hole for hanging it on a hook. Way back on the table top near the chair is something that looks like the edge of a dinner plate with perhaps a place mat under it.
(inspection done at 350% magnification)

Likes davenn
Tom.G said:
Naah. Peeking out from the left edge of the table is what looks like the handle of a skillet complete with the nicely shaped hole for hanging it on a hook. Way back on the table top near the chair is something that looks like the edge of a dinner plate with perhaps a place mat under it.
(inspection done at 350% magnification)

Could well be but if that's all there is why did YeeHaa want to obscure it? Why not just move it out of the way? Anyway, whatever is on the table may well be irrelevant. But those lines lines still look like projected lines.

davenn said:
unfortunately, it's become obvious that you are missing the point of the whole discussion :frown:
I have a bit of suspect that many of us, here, are missing the hole point, since:
1. we don't know if the OP is cheating us or not :smile:,
2. we still don't know which is the source of the coloured lines,
3. in post #8 the OP wrote: "Even if it is the dome causing this, I would still love to know how to lines became this discrete/high intensity" so he didn't exclude this possibility,
4. we don't know how that "dome" is made (maybe this kind of structures is common where you live but it's not usual for me)
5. in post #15 I expose a doubt on the single coloured beams because they seemed too much collimated to me, like laser beams and I haven't received a clear answer to it.
But if you have more clear ideas you can write them.

--
lightarrow

Likes Dadface
Hello all,

Wow! thank you for the huge amount of replies.
In a lot of replies I read some doubt about my sincerity but believe me (on my pretty blue eyes): no photoshop, no cheating. The pictures were taken with my Galaxy S8 phone and were uploaded straight to this forum (shared via mail).
I will make some more overview pictures when I get the chance.

There were also comments as to why I blanked out the table. Simply because it was not relevant and I considered that as my own private (mess) ;-).

I had some discussion at work (I am an opto-mechanical engineer) and were also on the path of "the blinds are shading part of the coloured spectrum"... But no solutions (yet).

Just for the fun of it, I uploaded the third picture I took that day so you can see I am not cheating ;-)

Attachments

• 20181027_123753.jpg
    20181027_123753.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 354
Likes davenn
Using the most recent photo that @YeeHaa posted:
Using the much lower distortion of that photo, I get the parallelism of the color rays as within 2.3°, well within the measurement error of being parallel. Even if the 2.3° is accurate, that puts the source distance at 25 tiles away (50ft. or 15m.).

Question for YeeHaa: Is that effect reproducible enough that you can visually sight along one of those rays to determine the source?
I hope so. You have a whole bunch of us VERY curious as to the cause.

Cheers,
Tom

Hi Yeehaa,
YeeHaa said:
I will make some more overview pictures when I get the chance. [...] I had some discussion at work (I am an opto-mechanical engineer) and were also on the path of "the blinds are shading part of the coloured spectrum"... But no solutions (yet).

I think mfb gave some good suggestions:
mfb said:
Is it repeatable? If yes:

What happens if you cover the dome?
As asked already: What happens if you open the blinds more?
Can you put an object close to the blinds to see where its shadow appears? This gives an estimate for the vertical angle of the light.

Also, you could try the following:
Ask another person, perhaps a friend, walk outside the blinds while you observe the lines to see if and when they disappear depending on where the person is. That can give you (and us!) a clue from where the light originates.

How often are these lines seen?

When they are seen, is it during some circumstance that is not routine?

I have never seen these lines, the blinds are installed for approx. 4 years now. It is the only time I saw this.
I will get back to sending more pictures!

"Question for YeeHaa: Is that effect reproducible enough that you can visually sight along one of those rays to determine the source? I hope so. You have a whole bunch of us VERY curious as to the cause"
I have not tried this at that moment...

Can I make the summary that this is dispersion of light caused by an accidental position of the light source due to the time of day & object which is refleting the light (dome?), where the blinds are causing the dispersion and at the same time are shadowing part of the color gradient? Hard to de-duct from all responses what the general consensus is!

Perhaps around the same time on a Sunny day, you could go outdoors and see if there is a spectrum projected on a nearby wall or anything else nearby. If so you can probable get a good idea as to where it is coming from.

Cheers,
Tom

Tom.G said:
Using the most recent photo that @YeeHaa posted:
Using the much lower distortion of that photo, I get the parallelism of the color rays as within 2.3°, well within the measurement error of being parallel.
No way.
They definitely converge closer than the horizon.

Look a the truly parallel rays of the tiles. They converge at infinity.
The light rays definitely converge within metres of the window.
rays.jpg

Attachments

• rays.jpg
    rays.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 321
The Yellow shows the vanishing point of the Red lines relatiing to the floor tiles.
Light Split-2.png

Attachments

• Light Split-2.png
    Light Split-2.png
    20.3 KB · Views: 409
Tom.G said:
The Yellow shows the vanishing point of the Red lines relatiing to the floor tiles.
Yes. That'll be the horizon, same as Omcheeto showed in post 16.
The light rays do not converge at the horizon, but much closer.

Likes OmCheeto