Polarization of laptop display

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a laptop outside while wearing polarized sunglasses and how certain angles and positions can cause the screen to appear completely black, as if the computer is turned off. The explanation is that LCD screens work by using polarization filters and liquid crystals, and the light emitted from the screen is polarized in the plane of the second filter. This can be observed with polarized sunglasses. There is also a question about whether this has to do with the polarization of the light from the laptop screen or if something else is causing the effect.
Razzor7
so I'm using my laptop outside while also wearing polarized sunglasses. I've only taken up thru physics 2 and it's the summer so ( ) and I'm not mentally on my A game so to speak. But I want to know if my impression here is close to correct or the real explanation if not.

from certain angles and positions* relative to the screen portions of the glasses block the image on the screen completely, instead showing a reflexion on the screen (as though the computer were turned off).

does this mean something about the polarization of the light that my laptop screen emits or is the answer somewhat different? If yes to the former, why would all the polarization be the same?

*I'm talking about my head and when I speak of positions and my face when I refer to angles. In this post I'm only referring to instances in which removing the glasses would give me a clear view of the "black" spot.

Science news on Phys.org
The (basic) way LCD screens work is to have to polarization filters and a liquid crystal fluid in between. Depending on a voltage applied to the pixel, the LC fluid will rotate the polarization of the light entering from behind to a varying degree - basically either so that it passes the 2nd filter or that it doesn't (making the pixel black). So the light coming out of your display should be polarized in the plane of the 2nd filter - assuming your display uses this technique. It's rather obvious but still interesting that you can see this with polarized sunglasses.

Related to Polarization of laptop display

1. What is polarization in a laptop display?

Polarization in a laptop display refers to the alignment of light waves as they pass through the screen. This alignment allows for the proper display of images and colors on the screen.

2. How does polarization affect the viewing experience on a laptop?

Polarization can greatly impact the viewing experience on a laptop. When the display is properly polarized, it allows for clear and vibrant images to be seen. However, if the polarization is off, it can result in a distorted or dim image that is difficult to see.

3. Can the polarization of a laptop display be adjusted?

Yes, the polarization of a laptop display can be adjusted. Many laptops have a feature that allows users to adjust the display's polarization to suit their viewing preferences.

4. What can cause the polarization of a laptop display to change?

The polarization of a laptop display can change due to various reasons such as physical damage to the screen, exposure to extreme temperatures, or improper handling of the device. Additionally, the polarization can also be affected by the angle at which the screen is viewed.

5. Is there a way to fix a laptop display with incorrect polarization?

There is no easy fix for a laptop display with incorrect polarization. In some cases, adjusting the display's settings or using an external monitor can help improve the viewing experience. However, if the issue is due to physical damage, it may require professional repair or replacement of the screen.