Polar notation for a complex exponential function

In summary, to find the polar notation for 1+e^(j4), you can use the fact that e^(jx) = cos x + jsin x to get (1+cos(4)) + jsin(4). Then, using trig identities, you can simplify this to 2cos(2). Alternatively, you can use the formula cos(z)=(e^(jz)+e^(-jz))/2 to get answer 2) without having to use double angle formulas.
Eng67
I am trying to find the polar notation for

1 + e^(j4)

I know that e^(jx) = cos x + jsin x
= cos(4) + jsin(4)

I can then find the magnitude and angle.

This is nowhere close to the answers below.

1) cos(2) + 1
2) e^(j2)[2cos(2)]
3) e^(-j4)sin(2)
4) e^(j2)(1+2cos(2))

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
So you know 1+e^(j4)=(1+cos(4)) + jsin(4). What is the absolute value of this number? (some trig identities will help). This will be enough to pick the answer from those 4.

You can go another way, if you pull out an e^(j2) you get:

1+e^(j4)=e^(j2)*(e^(-j2)+e^(j2))

do you see how this helps?

Eng67 said:
I am trying to find the polar notation for

1 + e^(j4)

I know that e^(jx) = cos x + jsin x
= cos(4) + jsin(4)

I can then find the magnitude and angle.

This is nowhere close to the answers below.

1) cos(2) + 1
2) e^(j2)[2cos(2)]
3) e^(-j4)sin(2)
4) e^(j2)(1+2cos(2))

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

This is a bit confusing. You say you want polar form: "magnitude and angle", which are both real numbers. Yet three of the "answers" you give are complex numbers and one is a single real number. What exactly do those "answers" represent?

[tex]r e^{j\theta}[/tex] where theta and r are real is sometimes called polar form/notation.

Yes, but none of the answers given are of that form.

[tex]e^{j\theta}r[/tex] then?

What are you seeing that I'm not?

Thanks Shmoe! I was able to work through to a solution.

I agree with HallsofIvy That this question is confusing.

Yes, the question is confusing but my remarks were incorrect and didn't help! As Shmoe said originally, 1+e^(j4)=(1+cos(4)) + jsin(4) which has modulus (absolute value)
[tex]\sqrt{(1+ cos(4))^2+ sin^2(4)}= \sqrt{1+ 2cos(4)+cos^2(4)+ sin^2(4)}[/tex]
[tex]= \sqrt{2+ 2 cos(4)}= \sqrt{2+ 2cos^2(2)- 2sin^2(2)}[/tex]
(using the double angle formula cos(2x)= cos2(x)- sin2(x))
[tex]= \sqrt{2(1- sin^2(2))+ 2cos^2(2)}= \sqrt{4cos^2(2)}[/tex]
[tex]= 2cos(2)[/tex]

Does that help?

That was the exact answer that I came up with!

Thanks all for the replies!

You should make sure you can find the angle as well, not all question will be multiple choice where the magnitude is enough to pick out the answer!

I prefer the route of my second suggestion:

1+e^(j4)=e^(j2)*(e^(-j2)+e^(j2))

And you know cos(z)=(e^(jz)+e^(-jz))/2, so you get answer 2) without having to muck about with double angle formulas that I would likely have to derive on the spot anyways.

Related to Polar notation for a complex exponential function

1. What is polar notation for a complex exponential function?

Polar notation for a complex exponential function is a way of representing complex numbers using their magnitude (or distance from the origin) and argument (or angle from the positive real axis).

2. How is polar notation different from rectangular notation for a complex exponential function?

In polar notation, a complex number is represented by its magnitude and argument, while in rectangular notation, it is represented by its real and imaginary parts.

3. How do you convert from polar notation to rectangular notation for a complex exponential function?

To convert from polar notation to rectangular notation, you can use the following formula: z = r(cosθ + isinθ), where r is the magnitude and θ is the argument.

4. What is the advantage of using polar notation for a complex exponential function?

Polar notation makes it easier to perform multiplication and division of complex numbers, as well as to find their powers and roots.

5. Can any complex number be represented in polar notation for a complex exponential function?

Yes, any complex number can be represented in polar notation. However, it may not always be the most convenient or efficient way of representing a complex number, depending on the context and the operations being performed.