Finding the magnitude of a complex exponential function

In summary, the steps for finding the magnitude of a complex exponential function are to replace z with e^(jw) and expand the terms using Euler's identity. Then, simplify and solve for the magnitude using the equation |a+jb|=sqrt(a^2+b^2). In the given example, the expression shown in the picture can be achieved by using z=e^(jw) directly in the first fraction and handling the other factor easily.
Malgrif

Homework Statement

I want to know the steps involved in finding the magnitude of a complex exponential function. An example of the following is shown in this picture:

T2ASrR5.png

Homework Equations

|a+jb|=sqrt(a^2+b^2)

|x/y|=|x|/|y|

The Attempt at a Solution

For the denominator, I replaced z with e^jw and used euler identity to expand the terms.

1-2rcos(w)e^(-jw)+r^2e^(-2jw)

1-rcos(w)*(cos(w)-jsinw)+.5r^2(cos(2w)-jsin(2w))

After simplifying I get:

1-rcos^2(w)+.5r^2cos(2w) + j(rsin(w)cos(w)-.5r^2sin(2w)

from there I let a=1-r(cos^2(w)-.5r^2cos(2w)) and b=r(sin(w)cos(w)-.5rsin(2w))

and using wolfram alpha to solve for sqrt(a^2+b^2) I don't get the simplified expression shown in the picture above. Am I approaching the problem correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
If z=e^(jw), you can use this directly in the first fraction, to get the factor of (1-r). The other factor is easy to handle then.

mfb said:
If z=e^(jw), you can use this directly in the first fraction, to get the factor of (1-r). The other factor is easy to handle then.

Ah, I see. Thank you very much. I got the answer =)

Related to Finding the magnitude of a complex exponential function

1. What is a complex exponential function?

A complex exponential function is a mathematical function that takes the form of f(z) = eaz, where e is the base of the natural logarithm, a is a complex constant, and z is a complex variable. It can also be written as f(z) = ea+bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit.

2. How do you find the magnitude of a complex exponential function?

The magnitude of a complex exponential function is equal to the absolute value of ea+bi, which can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem. The magnitude is given by |ea+bi| = √(a2 + b2).

3. What is the significance of finding the magnitude of a complex exponential function?

The magnitude of a complex exponential function represents the distance of the complex number ea+bi from the origin on the complex plane. It can also be interpreted as the amplitude or size of the function.

4. Are there any special cases when finding the magnitude of a complex exponential function?

Yes, there are two special cases when finding the magnitude of a complex exponential function. The first case is when a and b are both equal to 0, in which case the magnitude is equal to 1. The second case is when a is equal to 0, in which case the magnitude is equal to eb.

5. Can the magnitude of a complex exponential function be negative?

No, the magnitude of a complex exponential function is always a positive real number. This is because the magnitude represents the distance from the origin, which is always positive. However, the complex exponential function itself can have a negative real part or imaginary part.